PDA

View Full Version : Discus Retailers Feedback

Lido
10-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Hi,

I want to purchase a pair of high end adults, i have seen some of the retailers out there and was wondering if anyone had experience with any of the following breeders and their stock.

Has anyone ever bought:

Discus Madness
Red Dragon
White Dragon
White Butterfly
Mother of Pearl Leopard Snakeskin

Mac's Discus
Solid Pastel Green
Green Snakeskin
Super Red Scorpion
Green Leopard
Red Spotted Saffron
Emerald Greens

Majestic Aquatic
Red Spiderweb Turq
Super Red Cobalt Spiderweb
Violet Reflection

Discus Hans
Flachen Discus
Dark Angel
Alenquer

Jack Wattley's
Straighted Turq
Ocean Green
Leopard
Blue Panda
Blue Snakeskin
Blue Diamond

Or do you know any other great breeders with beautiful discus i am missing out on?

I want to buy two discus and am looking to keep it under $150 per fish, i want 4 inch or so in size and really want to have them as the centerpiece of my collection.

let me know what you all thnk!

Elliots
10-22-2013, 05:41 AM
At 4" length it will be difficult or impossible to get a pair. Discus are too difficult to sex. I have only personally bought from Hans and he is tops. Some of the others have been discussed on SD but I have not personally dealt with them so I really should not comment. If you search this site you will get information possibly on all of the people you listed. All the sponsors are SD are supposed to be excellent!!! Check them out, they are listed in the "Forum" section.

joanstone
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree with the above. If I lived where you do, I would call Kenny, talk to him about what you are looking for, and make arrangements to go to there. His info is in the sponsor section.

John_Nicholson
10-22-2013, 09:41 AM
The only one on that list that I would recommend would be Hans.

-john

Skip
10-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I have ONLY had FIRST HAND experience with HANS..

would buy again! great seller.. great fish

Mike71
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi Lido,

There are several good vendors on here (including Hans). If you want someone local that you can work with more directly, I would suggest talking to Bill at Inland Empire Discus. He is in Rialto. I live in Camarillo and have bought all my discus from him. Here is his link

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?150-Inland-Empire-Discus-(Bill-Schroer)-Rialto-California

William Palumbo
10-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Hans ALL the way for adults/pairs...Bill

discuspaul
10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
The only one on that list that I would recommend would be Hans.

-john

Ditto

Rudustin
10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Hans fish are great and he is so accessible when you email if you have a question. I also have purchased from Miranda at Chicago Discus and they were great as well.

Second Hand Pat
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Guys, I moved this to the general discus section so I do not have to do any pruning. :)

Libo, here are some actually livestock reviews which concern some of the retailers you queried in your first post...

Discus Madness

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?55650-Discus-Madness

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108691-Anyone-have-experience-with-Discus-Madness

Hans (also checkout Hans sponsor section, plenty of happy customers there)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108720-Hans-is-the-Man

DonMD
10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
If you want fish for $150, that are likely to pair, I would ask Hans to select a "maybe pair" that isn't yet proven. You may get them for $150 each, and they would be likely to pair, but there's no guarantee. If you wait till Hans proves them, the cost goes up. But this way you'd get full size fish. Good luck.

Lido
10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

I guess i made a goof when i said "pair" I wasn't intending on a breeding pair, i just ment two discus. For a show tank in my livingroom. :) sorry guys!

Again thanks for the feedback.

OC Discus
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Do you have other discus? The only way you should get just two is if they are a known pair. Some sites have pictures of the actual fish pairs you are getting. For $150 each you should try to get a pair that have been together already. Otherwise they may fight and one may get sick and die.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

I guess i made a goof when i said "pair" I wasn't intending on a breeding pair, i just ment two discus. For a show tank in my livingroom. :) sorry guys!

Again thanks for the feedback.

dirtyplants
10-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Kenny's fish are first rate also, he will go out of his way to help you out. His fish are beautiful, eat well and adjust fast, can't go wrong with him.

Lido
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Do you have other discus? The only way you should get just two is if they are a known pair. Some sites have pictures of the actual fish pairs you are getting. For $150 each you should try to get a pair that have been together already. Otherwise they may fight and one may get sick and die.

Yes, i currently have 9 other discus between 2.5-4 inches. most of which are on the smaller side.

But i am starting to put together a 60 gallon hex truvu and want to turn it into a show type tank. Not that i would actually take it to shows, i just mean a centerpeice for my home. I want to put a couple discus in it with a live planted set up. I am building a 3d background for it on the weekends. I really want the tank and fish to be the pride of my collection, putting costs aside. (to a resonable extent, i am not rich or anything)

I already have one discus tank set up, as most of you know. With all of the other discus. And i do have some really good looking ones. I just thought it would be nice to get a couple really high end ones for the hex tank.

OC Discus
10-22-2013, 05:37 PM
What else is going in your 60 gallon with the two show stoppers?

Yes, i currently have 9 other discus between 2.5-4 inches. most of which are on the smaller side.

But i am starting to put together a 60 gallon hex truvu and want to turn it into a show type tank. Not that i would actually take it to shows, i just mean a centerpeice for my home. I want to put a couple discus in it with a live planted set up. I am building a 3d background for it on the weekends. I really want the tank and fish to be the pride of my collection, putting costs aside. (to a resonable extent, i am not rich or anything)

I already have one discus tank set up, as most of you know. With all of the other discus. And i do have some really good looking ones. I just thought it would be nice to get a couple really high end ones for the hex tank.

Lido
10-22-2013, 06:34 PM
What else is going in your 60 gallon with the two show stoppers?

L41 Zebra Pleco, couple of cardinals and still working out the rest.

OC Discus
10-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Hans has pictures of the actual fish you can buy. In California, Sunrise Tropicals has pictures of adult discus online where you can see the fish you are buying. Care will be much easier if you get a pair already grown to six inches or so. Might be worth an extra $100-200 for that perfect pair.

L41 Zebra Pleco, couple of cardinals and still working out the rest.

Lido
10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Is a 60 gallon hex enough for two full grown adults?

OC Discus
10-23-2013, 10:20 AM
The safe rule seems to be 10g per fish.

Is a 60 gallon hex enough for two full grown adults?

Ryan
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Two random discus could be a problem if they're not compatible. Read up on discus pecking orders here on the forum -- we've had plenty of threads on why a group of fish is usually better. If you want just two adults in a tank it'd be best to find a pair or maybe pair. As has been mentioned, Hans sells "maybe pairs" which he posts videos of so that you know exactly what you're getting. They are priced well for large adult fish, especially considering their potential to be mated pairs. I'm not sure that they'll all be under $150 but for the size and convenience it may be worth upping your budget a little.

I haven't dealt with anyone from your list but I will offer a word of advice: select someone who will take the time to show you the actual fish you're buying. Hans goes out of his way to make videos of all his adult pairs for sale. If you're dropping a few hundred dollars on centerpiece fish for a show tank, you'll want to see the actual fish you're getting. I'm not sure every vendor on your list will do that.

As for the tank, what is the footprint of it? As a general rule discus don't always do well in tall tanks with a small footprint, just because they utilize more horizontal space than vertical space when swimming. But considering it's 60 gallons and you're only planning a pair they may be okay in there. I have a pair in a 56 cube and they do pretty well.

OC Discus
10-23-2013, 09:06 PM
There are some threads about raising fry in a planted tank that you should probably read up on if you have a pair in a display tank. The only way two will work is to have a pair. With a pair you will probably have fry. With fry you enter into a whole new ballgame of set-up and daily maintenance. Someone on here did that very thing last month and started a thread. He was not trying to raise the fry, so he did not do the special treatment. Maybe he will see this and chime in. You might search on "raising fry in a planted tank" to follow that thread.

Ryan
10-23-2013, 09:11 PM
You don't necessarily have to raise the fry. I have cichlids who spawn in community tanks all the time and I let nature take its course. You can always strip the eggs, or chances are the pleco will take care of them after lights-out.