PDA

View Full Version : RO or RO/DI

jsullins
10-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Since I will be facing crazy tap conditions this time of the year on a regular basis I am looking a installing a permanent system in the my garage. Should I spend the xtra 20 or 30 bucks and get the DI unit or go with just a straight RO system? I have never checked TDS, fish are health and seem happy. I am in Mesquite, TX so our tap comes from the same place as Dallas I would assume. I am not currently breeding but would like to give it a shot in the future but I am kinda of clueless when it comes to TDS, do they need to be as low as possible or is it that big of a deal?

plecocicho
10-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Normally RO is suffice for freshwater aquariums, only saltwater tanks require zero nitrates and phospahtes in water. So i guess, if your tap water doesnt have huge amont nitrate (we are speaking beyond 100ppm)or phosphate (beyond 20 ppm)in it , you wont need it

John_Nicholson
10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I took the DI off on my RO unit. Found there was no real need for it.

-john

DiscusBR
10-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Less phosphates means less algae,right? I hope DI helps with algae control (I had major issues in the past with brown algae). I got a RO unit with DI and I assume there are no major disadvantages if I use it.