PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Nitrites in Your Tap Water

GeauxDiscus
10-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Lately I've been noticing that I get a nitrite spike immediately after doing a 50% water change. If I test the water the next morning, the bio-filter has taken the nitrites back down to zero. So I tested my tap water, and sure enough, my tap is reading an unGodly 2 ppm nitrites. WTH? I've tested my tap before and found some nitrites, but nothing like this. So my question is: what's the best way to deal with this? I age the water for three days using Prime, but that doesn't seem to matter. I feel like I'm poisoning my fish every time I do a water change, which I'm pretty sure is not the point of the water change. Right now I'm just doubling up on Prime and letting the bio-filter remove the nitrites I'm putting in. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Tazalanche
10-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Prime is made to keep ammonia & nitrites non-toxic while the beneficial bacteria absorbs it, but only lasts about 48 hours. If you're adding prime into your aging container, it should be added just before you transfer the aged water to your tank(s).

GeauxDiscus
10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Since I've been having this tap water issue, I've started adding Prime when I stage the water to give the Prime time to circulate throughout the container and detoxify all the nitrites from my tap water. Then I add a second dose directly to the tank after I've done the water change.

As an update, I also tried adding some bio-media to my staging container. (I stole the bio-media from my tanks.) We'll see if that helps any.

Tormentor
10-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I would say you need more biological filtration.

discuspaul
10-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Have you checked with your local water supplier to see what they're adding to the water. It's not unusual for tap water in some areas to contain nitrates up to a certain level, but it seems very unusual, to my knowledge, for tap water to have any concentration of nitrites, which may be being produced somewhere within the water carrying conduits.

John_Nicholson
10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
This happens around here almost every fall. It will get better when we start getting some more rain. UNtil then all you can do is treat the water and hope you don't lose too much growth on your young fish.

-john

Len
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi Biological filtration seems to be fine if it's removing the nitrites by the next morning. The problem stated is with the source water, so the only thing that can be done is to add prime just BEFORE adding the new water to the tank not right after as it seems is being done presently
I would say you need more biological filtration.

Tormentor
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi Biological filtration seems to be fine if it's removing the nitrites by the next morning. The problem stated is with the source water, so the only thing that can be done is to add prime just BEFORE adding the new water to the tank not right after as it seems is being done presently
Indeed I have added my water staring and then add prime after or during the procees, but I almost lost one of my precious disc so I'm not dong it again, I always add prime before I add the freshwater to the tank, just to make sure. Good luck with that, hope you don't loose any fish.

GeauxDiscus
10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
This happens around here almost every fall. It will get better when we start getting some more rain. UNtil then all you can do is treat the water and hope you don't lose too much growth on your young fish.

-john

John, any idea what causes the nitrite spike in the tap water in the fall? Makes me want to buy bottled water instead of using the Brita filter for drinking!

GeauxDiscus
10-24-2013, 08:11 PM

No, I am adding Prime to the staging container (in the ratio specified on the bottle), and THEN adding more to the tank after I do the water change. I add the second dose to help make sure the bio-filter can keep up with the new addition of detoxified nitrite plus any nitrites that are produced until it can catch up.

GeauxDiscus
10-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Have you checked with your local water supplier to see what they're adding to the water. It's not unusual for tap water in some areas to contain nitrates up to a certain level, but it seems very unusual, to my knowledge, for tap water to have any concentration of nitrites, which may be being produced somewhere within the water carrying conduits.

No, I haven't checked with the city, and I'm sure they aren't going to change what they do to the water to accommodate my complaint. I wonder if a rat or something else crawled up in my pipes and died! ;)

discuspaul
10-24-2013, 10:10 PM
No, I haven't checked with the city, and I'm sure they aren't going to change what they do to the water to accommodate my complaint. I wonder if a rat or something else crawled up in my pipes and died! ;)

No, I'm not suggesting that the point is to have them change what they're doing - of course they aren't going to do that, but it's simply to perhaps get some idea of what it is they may be doing to create nitrites in your tap water, so that you might deal with it.

GeauxDiscus
10-24-2013, 10:19 PM
No, I'm not suggesting that the point is to have them change what they're doing - of course they aren't going to do that, but it's simply to perhaps get some idea of what it is they may be doing to create nitrites in your tap water, so that you might deal with it.

Understood, and thanks for the suggestion. I'll call them tomorrow.

jsullins
10-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Ive got the same problem and had it last year as well. It's like John said this will be an issue every year at this time, when the lakes start to turn over the water companies jack the amount of chlorimines/chlorine in the water. I had an ammonia spike first and now that has dropped and the nitrite is off the chart like yours.
(2ppm) You can ride it out as you are doing or get a R/O unit and mix it 50/50 so you dont have to add all the minerals and buffers to the water or you can add replenish and adjust the ph with buffers if you go 100% r/o. You should check your nitrates, i suspect they will be way higher than normal, mine was up to around 40 or 50 a day or two after a water change. This was happening because the bio filter was eating all the ammonia and nittrite from the tap. I went back to r/o last week and everything is back to normal. Nitates are back down to 10-20, if you dont want to or dont have room for a r/o unit you can by water from a watermill xpress for your water changes, it's a $1.50 for 5 gallons and then when the tap water settles down go back to using it.

GeauxDiscus
10-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks Sullins - that's great info. I've only been keeping discus for six months or so, and I guess I'd never noticed the spikes in the past because I was doing less frequent water changes of lower percentages. I just Googled lake turnover - interesting. I never even knew that happened.

jsullins
10-26-2013, 05:14 PM
just remember if you mix it 50/50 you will still have ammonia/nitrite from your tap the r/o will just cut it way down were it is easier to manage.

GeauxDiscus
10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Update: I contacted the City via web form this weekend and actually got a response this morning. They indicated that the nitrites aren't that high across the entire City, and that they'd send someone by today to flush the lines in my neighborhood. I'm hoping this will help. As of yesterday, the nitrites in my tap water was still sitting at about 1.5 ppm. I'll let everyone know in a few days if that helps.

discuspaul
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Update: I contacted the City via web form this weekend and actually got a response this morning. They indicated that the nitrites aren't that high across the entire City, and that they'd send someone by today to flush the lines in my neighborhood. I'm hoping this will help. As of yesterday, the nitrites in my tap water was still sitting at about 1.5 ppm. I'll let everyone know in a few days if that helps.

I suspected this - the fact that the City have said they would flush the lines in your neighborhood indicate that they recognize some nitrites are likely being developed in the water carrying conduits near you.

John_Nicholson
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Sorry been out of town chasing deer...anyway it is a result of the summer pull down that all of your local lakes go though. I am glad they are flushing your lines but that is basically in a hope that you won't complain again...LOL. Rain is what we need. Good luck.

-john

GeauxDiscus
10-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry been out of town chasing deer...anyway it is a result of the summer pull down that all of your local lakes go though. I am glad they are flushing your lines but that is basically in a hope that you won't complain again...LOL. Rain is what we need. Good luck.

-john

Funny - I think they did do the flush just to appease me. They did the flush on Monday, and it's Wednesday, and my nitrites are still 2 ppm - no change. I did some reading about the lake turnover you guys mentioned, and that must be what's happening. We got some rain today, so I'm hoping that helps.

nc0gnet0
10-31-2013, 11:43 AM
The EPA has set a maximum allowable level of nitrites in driinking water at 1ppm, so you water is at twice what the water company is legally allowed.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/nitrite.cfm

GeauxDiscus
10-31-2013, 03:55 PM
The EPA has set a maximum allowable level of nitrites in driinking water at 1ppm, so you water is at twice what the water company is legally allowed.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/nitrite.cfm

WOW - Thanks very much for the info. So the city is breaking the law by having high nitrites for an extended period. I may go ahead and call the EPA's Safe Drinking Water Hotline if I don't get quick movement on this.

ronald sherman
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Make sure too tell them they are breaking the law and you intend too fine them every day it's over 1.0 ppm and if the fine get's too high your going too have the constable show up and threw them in jail, LOL

GeauxDiscus
11-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Oh, I did tell them that. And they begged my forgiveness. Seriously, as an update: The city has tried to flush the lines twice now, and nothing has made any difference. According to the City of Carrollton, they purchase their water from Dallas, and Dallas uses an ozone treatment method which is supposed to reduce the nitrites below the MCL. (mandatory contamination level) So when I told them that the level is still 2 ppm after the second flush, they basically didn't believe me. When I suggested that they come test it to see for themselves, they said they don't currently have an nitrite testing tool, and are in the process of purchasing one. First I said, "WTH"?? Then I said, "You don't have a nitrite tester? Seriously?" I suggested paying $30 for an API test kit, but the guy said he wanted something more accurate, and so they are waiting 7 to 10 days to get their fancy testing tool so they can finally believe me that the water sucks. Sheesh.

OC Discus
11-06-2013, 06:37 PM
What about running some nitrazorb in the filters during the time nitrites are in tap water? It removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It could be run in a staging tank before adding the water to the main tank. It is re-chargeable using aquarium salt and lasts a couple of months.

Thanks Sullins - that's great info. I've only been keeping discus for six months or so, and I guess I'd never noticed the spikes in the past because I was doing less frequent water changes of lower percentages. I just Googled lake turnover - interesting. I never even knew that happened.

GeauxDiscus
11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
What about running some nitrazorb in the filters during the time nitrites are in tap water? It removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It could be run in a staging tank before adding the water to the main tank. It is re-chargeable using aquarium salt and lasts a couple of months.

I hadn't heard about nitrazorb, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

dirtyplants
11-08-2013, 02:19 PM
If your nitrites are indeed above the EPA levels, and your community water department refuses to beleive you, you can add to your threat by sending a sample of your water to nearest university environmental department. Armed with their analysis presented to the EPA and along with your tests, as well as any other persons which can test in the area, then indicating that you will go public with the data, that might very well light the coals under their feet.

GeauxDiscus
11-11-2013, 11:34 PM
I did contact the EPA, and they referred me to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality's drinking water division. The guy I talked to there was very helpful, and they are going to come test the water also. He said that the nitrites are more than likely being caused by the city using too much ammonia and not enough chlorine (an imbalance while trying to create chloramines). The excess ammonia then gets nitrified. This checks out. From Wikipedia:

Chloramine disinfection

The use of chloramine is becoming more common as a disinfectant. Although chloramine is not as strong an oxidant, it does provide a longer-lasting residual than free chlorine and it won't form THMs or haloacetic acids. It is possible to convert chlorine to chloramine by adding ammonia to the water after addition of chlorine. The chlorine and ammonia react to form chloramine. Water distribution systems disinfected with chloramines may experience nitrification, as ammonia is a nutrient for bacterial growth, with nitrates being generated as a by-product.

dirtyplants
11-12-2013, 02:08 AM
That does sounds better then "we don't beleive you", glad you got someone to hear you, someone that has an explanation!