PDA

View Full Version : WATER FLOOD!

dkeef
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
ok so I finally did it. while doing WC and filling the tank, I fell asleep right in front of the couch next to the tank. I woke up and there was water flood in half the living room wood floor then some into entry tile floor. of course I panicked and shut off the water. then used all the towels I had to soak and scoop up water from the floor. I was able to manage to dry the floor within an hour. I placed heater all night to dry areas under the tank or furnitures I couldn't reach.

I probably spilled a good 20-30 gal water into the floor. none of the fish got harmed but my wife was furious and all worried about wood floor lifting up and mold developing etc. wood is engineer wood and I didn't notice much lifting up but maybe some edges were.
as far as mold, is there a real danger?
I live in SOCAL where humidty is around 60-65%.

I better get a water level sensor alarm now...

dr.nick73
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
That sucks man... My wife would have killed me...

dkeef
10-24-2013, 02:45 PM
unless u have drain on sump, u better get the alarm, im telling u it will happen at some point...

chinoy168
10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Sorry about that bro drying is pain that happen to while back was in dog house for it

trungnguyen
10-24-2013, 02:53 PM
put some small rice bags (put rice into small fabric bags) in the area where you can't reach to clean. It helps to take the humidity out

dkeef
10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOYU-Water-Level-High-Low-Alarm-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-SW01-biv-/180926746579?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

anyone used this cheap one before???

Skip
10-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I better get a water level sensor alarm now...

how about not SLEEP.. lol..

ps.. I have fake wood also.. had a spill myself.. I drain tank.. and move the stand.. cuz I didn't want water to but UNDER the stand.. was worried about the water getting in the seams.. and raising up

Allwin
10-24-2013, 03:10 PM
aah, i did the same few weeks back.. That's pain,even i'm looking for some better ways to handle this never ending accident..

dkeef
10-24-2013, 03:12 PM
well if yur a perfect human being then this will never happen. thus it could happen to anyone.
BTW I also did same thing in my parents home way back. but that was saltwater and their flood was ruined...actually a rock tipped over and broke the bottom glass.

Allwin
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm planning on similar thing like toilet shut-off valve :)

MKD
10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
sorry David. thanks god and knock on wood it has n't happened the one in living room. by the way, you can try flooat valve.

dkeef
10-24-2013, 03:34 PM
I use python hose and jehmco water changer (basically pvc pipe with pump connected) to do WC. unless i plumb water incoming into the tank, i cant use floatvalves.

Trevor W
10-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Do you fill straight from the tap or do you use a pump to transfer water from a storage container? Sorry if you stated it already.

dkeef
10-24-2013, 03:40 PM
straight up from sink tap.

Trevor W
10-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Just an idea but if you are filling from the faucet you could still use a float valve to stop the flow of water but you would have to diy a pvc "U" to go over the rim of your tank and for extra safety it could be clamped to the trim or glass. So then you would just have to screw your hose to the one side of the "U". I'm thinking something like this:
hose -> n_ -> (float valve) http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/731962561/Automatic_Water_Shut_Off_Valve_DN20CY.jpg_220x220. jpg

What I am trying to say (if this doesn't make sense) is that you would have an upside down U (n) and then you would have a short piece of pvc to change the direction from vertical to horizontal and that would be what the float valve would attach to.

Len
10-24-2013, 04:03 PM
That really bites. Been there and done it too. Towels, blankets, sheets, anything is fair game while trying to get the water off the floor. If it is laminate floor, the concern would be the foam under it. It will soak up water and cause mold. I had the same thing happen back before christmas, and they had to rip the floor out of the entire apartment and replace the underlay and floor. You wouldn't believe the distance water can travel. When they did pull the old floor up, the foam had started to turn musty already.

ktltn04
10-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't worry. Just tell your wife that new floor will coming soon :)

blueluv
10-24-2013, 04:32 PM
If you have the space, it would be ideal to have a barrel to age your water. This way you place a water pump that can refill your tank quickly, vs filling from tap with python. You'll be attentive, knowing that it fills your tank faster.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

blueluv
10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Been their done that and bought the t-shirt. I flooded half the living room, with btw is carpeted. I've fallen asleep while refilling my ageing barrels.

decoy50
10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
A dehumidifier will help pull some moisture out of the air and really cuts down on mold/mildew. Mildew was awful in my house when I first moved in(turns out I had a cracked pipe and it had been leaking for quite some time underneath my house) I bought a dehumidifier and was really suprised how much water it pulls out. Stopped mold & mildew from growing. A good one will be around $200 on Amazon.

blueluv
10-24-2013, 04:51 PM
A dehumidifier will help pull some moisture out of the air and really cuts down on mold/mildew. Mildew was awful in my house when I first moved in(turns out I had a cracked pipe and it had been leaking for quite some time underneath my house) I bought a dehumidifier and was really suprised how much water it pulls out. Stopped mold & mildew from growing. A good one will be around $200 on Amazon.

You can also buy a product called damp rid. It sucks in moisture and probably cost around $5 out $6.

DonMD
10-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes, me too. All of the above. But if you're in SoCal, I don't think you'll have any serious problems, it should dry up completely. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's zero damage to your floor. I just overflowed my dining room AND my basement at the same time! Keystone cops over here. Hey, it's the price we (occassionally) pay to keep discus. Just be extra nice to your wife! LOL.

dkeef
10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

This is what i got for wc. It protects how much water is drained by adjusting the arm of the pvc but doesnt protect against overfill. What could i add to this to ensure water shutoff when overfilling?
Btw this device goes into main tank and cuz i have central overflow and sump, it was the sump that overflooded.

Gene
10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
That really bites. Been there and done it too. Towels, blankets, sheets, anything is fair game while trying to get the water off the floor. If it is laminate floor, the concern would be the foam under it. It will soak up water and cause mold. I had the same thing happen back before christmas, and they had to rip the floor out of the entire apartment and replace the underlay and floor. You wouldn't believe the distance water can travel. When they did pull the old floor up, the foam had started to turn musty already.

HAHAHA I remember grabbing blankets and laundry when I ran out of towels... basically anything that cost less than my floor lol

Rudustin
10-24-2013, 11:55 PM
OMG!!!! I was in the process of filling one of my 50 gallon aging containers while doing water changes on my tank tonight and guess what I was multitasking (not good at that because I get distracted) and forgot about it! I have done this before and it was much worse. I'm in a condo and of course the downstairs residents weren't too happy when they saw water flowing down their closed windows the first time I did it! I went and purchased a wet vac from Home Depot at that time and of course tonight it came in very handy because I just pulled out the vac and got all the water up in minutes!!! They are not expensive and considering that you have wood floors I think you need check out buying one. They are really simple to work and very effective. It will happen again!! Sorry it happened to you and yes the wife is mad but just buy her some flowers tomorrow.

dkeef
10-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Wet vac maybe good to have.

Elliots
10-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I had a small flood myself recently. I removed my prefilter sponges for cleaning and I accidently pushed my cover glass right up against my two AC filters. Usually I have a space between the glass and the filters. My water started going on top of my cover then instead of going back into my tank it ran onto the floor. I thought my tank was leaking! I traced down after panicing over a leaking tank! I did not really have that much water on the floor. I would say a gallon or less. I used my "Fish Towel" that I keep next to my tank for drops of water that get on my floor whenever I seem to go into my tank for something.

Tony C
10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't know anything about them but Jehmco does offer a refill device with auto shutoff, may be a good complement to your Jehmco drain. http://www.jehmco.com/html/water_change_devices.html