PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to discus. Reverse osmosis filter question

LisaT
10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I have been fish-keeping for quite some time and I am finally ready to give discus a try. I want to learn as much as possible before I start buying...

I have a 75 gal tank that is currently unoccupied, and that I want to use for discus. I am well aware that I have hard water (I need to buy a new test kit, so I can't give exact numbers at the minute). Also, my water comes from a well, so there is no chlorine in it. I have been told that I can have success by using a reverse osmosis filter. So, my questions are...Does the reverse osmosis filter replace any other filter OR do I still need either a canister or hang-on-back filter? If it replaces these other filters, how do I go about cycling it? I've cycled several other types of filters by using ammonia for a "fishless cycle". Also, how do you recommend I go about cleaning the tank prior to use? From what I hear discus are a bit more delicate and I want to ensure there is no bacteria left from my previous fish.

Thank you in advance...all advice is more than welcome. This is going to be my winter project.

Skip
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Hard water is fine for discus. .. clean water trumps all other parameters..

You only need soft water for a few days for eggs to hatch..other than that.. tap/well water will do and is less trouble

Skip
10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Fill with water.. after a couple of cups of bleach.. let is sit or run filters you wanted sterilized also.. drain.. rinse.. let air dry. Done

Keith Perkins
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
I agree with Skip, you don't need RO at all unless you reach a point where you want to breed them. Some even say you don't need it then.

You should determine whether or not you have pH bounce. Partially fill a 5 gallon pail with tap water and check the pH. Run an air stone in it for 24 hours and check the pH again. If it changes by a half a point or more you should age your water for 24 hours before you use it.

As for tank pre-cleaning, I'd simply use a non-scented bleach solution to wipe down all the surfaces of the tank and let it completely air dry.

The easiest way by far to cycle a tank is to buy a cycled sponge filter from the same source as you get all your initial discus and just put everything in at the same time. Winter project? You could have all this done easily before you even have snow on the ground. :)

Northwoods Discus
10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
It seems that the OP is confused about what an R/O filter does and where you use it. It is not a tank filter and you do not cycle an R/O filter. It is used to produce water with a low to zero minerals (soft) water. This water is mixed with tap or reconstituted with minerals such as R/O right to get a desired hardness (or softness). An reverse osmosis filter has nothing to do with the aquarium filtration itself. hth

LisaT
10-25-2013, 02:25 PM
OK, so no R/O filter. I will stick with the hard water. After a visit to my local pet store I was told that it's actually the PH I should be concerned about and not the hardness of the water. I know that my PH used to be off the Richter scale, but I tested it just now and it was about 7 (I used cheap test strips as I have to get a new test kit). My concern is why it changed and if it could change back. I know that my husband added some sort of filter on the water coming into the house, as we used to get a lot of sediment and clay. Not sure if that could have affected the PH.

Incidentally, the total hardness (using the same strips) is 425...still OK?

If I clean up my old, already cycled filter would it be ok to use?

strawberryblonde
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
A pH of 7 is fine for discus. With that hardness you won't be able to breed them, but that's nothing to worry about for now.

So the next thing to do is to age the water for 24 hours and then test it again to see if you have a big pH swing.

Oh and yup, you can just clean the filter, but that will kill all the bacteria, so you'll have to start over to cycle it. As Keith mentioned, the easiest way to cycle your tank is to purchase an already seeded sponge filter from the same person you purchase your discus from.

Keep reading threads here in the beginner section to learn more while you're cleaning your tank and filter...the sticky posts are a great source of info. =)

On a side note, it's generally much better to purchase discus from one of the trusted sponsors on this site, rather than from a LFS. Better quality and better health, plus awesome shipping. The price can actually be lower too.

Second Hand Pat
10-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Lisa, I see you are going to buy a test kit. :) Those test strips are not very reliable. Also I would not take what the LFS tells you as truth. Also best to ask or confirm here on SD.
Pat

Northwoods Discus
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
One note. Ph and hardness are related. Generally a softer water has a lower Ph. Soft water is also more prone to Ph crash or rapid fall in ph. This is because there are less buffering minerals. The primary mineral you are dealing with is calcium. That is why you get hard water scale. It is mineral deposits left behind as the water evaporates.

strawberryblonde
10-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Usually true Northwoods, but pH and hardness aren't always linked. =)

I have pH between 7.8 - 8.4 depending on the time of year and my KH and GH are extremely low. TDS is also only 98-100.

Northwoods Discus
10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, Toni you are correct. That's why I said generally related. I know there are lots of other minerals and organics in the water that can affect Ph.

LisaT
10-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, it seems my PH problem was worked out with the house filter....unbeknownst to me. I've mainly had ciclids in the past which are pretty hardy and I rarely tested the water to be honest. I will wait 24 hours to retest just to be sure....then start cleaning my tank. I'm sure you will hear a lot more from me. :-)