PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS HURT OF GILL FLUKES, HELP PLEASE,

Tormentor
10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
One of my discus got hurt and he went inactive for three days and starter laying on the bottom of the tank
2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
He's dark but not black but dark, not eating he has his right side clamped , witch is where he got hurt, and he has some sort of fungus I think and a little of cloudy eye.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None so far, I've been doing water changes daily of 80% for the last three days! and he seems a bit more active! but he is still not good.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon
6 discus at about 5 inches each
5 rasboras
One Siamese algea eater
One clown loach

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
Used to every other day at 80% but daily now for the last three days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
For a year I think, no bare bottom, sand at two inches

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No
8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _86____

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
Clown loach

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://youtu.be/rURbYqeOloM

Hopefully you can see the video, I also forgot to mention that he is breathing heavy and only using one of his gills, I need help please, I have prazi I can use right now but I don't want use it yet before I get some advice..

Tormentor
10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Please help.....

Tormentor
10-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Update, I just saw my fish pooping white stringy, if that helps.

jimg
10-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Could be many things not knowing how your maintenance was before. I would get that one for now into a 20 gal or better tank. get metro and treat at 1/4 tsp per 20 1x a day for 10 days. I was going to say bi furan or furan 2 until I saw you post the white feces. metro can help at bacterial so try that and get back in 5 days to let me know if any improvement. for now if you have no metro use salt any kind (I use kosher it's fine and dissolves fast) use at 1 tbs per 5 gal for 3 days with 1-2x daily 90% water changes). order enough metro to treat the main tank too.
55 is a poor discus tank with what you have you should get a 75

Tormentor
10-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Could be many things not knowing how your maintenance was before. I would get that one for now into a 20 gal or better tank. get metro and treat at 1/4 tsp per 20 1x a day for 10 days. I was going to say bi furan or furan 2 until I saw you post the white feces. metro can help at bacterial so try that and get back in 5 days to let me know if any improvement. for now if you have no metro use salt any kind (I use kosher it's fine and dissolves fast) use at 1 tbs per 5 gal for 3 days with 1-2x daily 90% water changes). order enough metro to treat the main tank too.
55 is a poor discus tank with what you have you should get a 75
Thanks Jim, but don't you think I should use prazi, I mean he and my other fish often scratch and shake, I did move him to a 35 with the tour to treat him, but instead he got worse, that's why I decided to move him back to the main tank along the other discus. I would remove more of the fish to justs have enough for my small tank. And btw I did use metro for 7 days with no good results using 250mg for 20 gallons. I would bump it up to 500 mg.

jimg
10-25-2013, 08:27 PM
no prazi maybe later but not now. it helps more if you give all info from the start. i was under the impression that the other fish were fine and just this one got hurt then other symptoms showed up and no meds were used. treat with qc 1 drop per gal. plus a few extra for 3 days. 90 wc 1x a day before dose. the tank should be bare. the continue as I suggested in my last reply.
I don't know how you are at treatments but i personally would first do 3% salt dips on that one a few times a week and skip the 1 tbs salt per 5, but I think your better off with the 1 per 5. if that fish was laying on the bottom for 3 days, don't give it much hope

Tormentor
10-25-2013, 09:13 PM
no prazi maybe later but not now. it helps more if you give all info from the start. i was under the impression that the other fish were fine and just this one got hurt then other symptoms showed up and no meds were used. treat with qc 1 drop per gal. plus a few extra for 3 days. 90 wc 1x a day before dose. the tank should be bare. the continue as I suggested in my last reply.
I don't know how you are at treatments but i personally would first do 3% salt dips on that one a few times a week and skip the 1 tbs salt per 5, but I think your better off with the 1 per 5. if that fish was laying on the bottom for 3 days, don't give it much hope
Hi Jim, he was laying on his side at the bottom, for just one day, after the wc and adding some stress guard from seachem and garlic he seems to get back up, I added this medications twice, as they both heal open wounds. He is swimming now, but barely eats, and breaths heavy. I would start tomorrow with the salt medication for three times. Then wc then metro, and if needed prazi. He seems much better than before, the water changes really help!

jimg
10-26-2013, 07:05 AM
water changes are the best, but after the fact, you can do all the wc's you want and rarely will it cure them of white feces. get them into qc first. you need to knock down any external irritants to ease stress. the salt will help them also to be at ease as it will help with slime coat and ease their organs and gills. stress guard and anything with slime coat additives are not good for discus.

Tormentor
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM
water changes are the best, but after the fact, you can do all the wc's you want and rarely will it cure them of white feces. get them into qc first. you need to knock down any external irritants to ease stress. the salt will help them also to be at ease as it will help with slime coat and ease their organs and gills. stress guard and anything with slime coat additives are not good for discus.
Thanks Jim, I will start off with api salt since it's the only thing I have at hand and qc. They can both be mix in together right? Thanks.

jimg
10-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Jim, I will start off with api salt since it's the only thing I have at hand and qc. They can both be mix in together right? Thanks.

NO do not mix them qc first then after 3 days of treatment the mild salt bath

Tormentor
10-26-2013, 09:09 AM
NO do not mix them qc first then after 3 days of treatment the mild salt bath

Jim, he seems much better now, I will start the qc treatment but would I have to add the normal dose witch is 1 drop per gallon, daily for three days, right?