PDA

View Full Version : pool filter sand brands

mattyb
10-27-2013, 08:49 AM
For my new tank I was going to have a go at using pfs as it is recommend by a lot of people, but I read one review from where I am, in Australia and they said they have many problems with pfs to the extent that it was killing his fish. I know it could of been other factors but I was just warned on brands as some use chemicals that are harmful to fish. Of I can please have a name of brands that people have used so I know that I'm on the safe side or things to look out for :) Thank you

Frankr409
10-27-2013, 09:40 AM
For my new tank I was going to have a go at using pfs as it is recommend by a lot of people, but I read one review from where I am, in Australia and they said they have many problems with pfs to the extent that it was killing his fish. I know it could of been other factors but I was just warned on brands as some use chemicals that are harmful to fish. Of I can please have a name of brands that people have used so I know that I'm on the safe side or things to look out for :) Thank you

Unless he got his sand out of a questionable place, like Fukashima, or an oil rig site, I'm pretty sure you are good to go. I use it now, and have used it for years. Some people report gas pockets in the sand, and this could be true, but for those of us with fairly well planted tanks, the colonization of the plant roots eliminate that affect.

I just get it anywhere that sells pool supplies, no name if you get my drift.

tonytheboss1
10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
:bandana: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357&clickid=body_rv_img. No problems!! "T"

Elliots
10-27-2013, 02:51 PM
mattyb, I think you are on your own on this one. Most people on SD are Americans. I do not know why anyone would ship PFS from America to Australia. I bought HTH (As indicated by Tonytheboss) at Ace Hardware. It comes in 50 pound bags.

DiscusBR
10-27-2013, 03:24 PM
:bandana: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357&clickid=body_rv_img. No problems!! "T"

It looks like it has a yellowish color. Do they carry white PFS?

Frankr409
10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Mine is sandy color....not yellowish.

mattyb
10-28-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm not going to import some Sand lol just looking for some safe brands that all

dirtyplants
10-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Just a note on pfs from ace hardwares. I went to my local ace for pfs and noticed a cancer notice on the back of the package. Needless to say did not buy it from ace, went to the pool place and bought their quartz sand which is very white.

mattyb
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I ended up buying play sand as it a bit safer and I know a few people that got it from bunnings here and had no problem