PDA

View Full Version : need your advise, moving 3 mnth discus to 55 gallon

troysdiiscus
10-27-2013, 12:22 PM
As the title says, I am going to set up my 55 gallon today. Its moving day from the 30 gallon. After culling will be about 23 or so bout 2.5 inch or slightly bigger.
I currently have a liter bottle of K1 and a large sponge filter in 30 gallon. My plan is to set up today, fill up with water and let it run for 24 hours, add safe then the k1 and sponge. Now I bought this tank used and have already sterilized it and the equipment. It came with a topfin 60 that I am sure came as a kit. ( I also have a penguin 350 with bio wheel, but cant find the intake piece that fits into the motor:mad:) what can I put as media in the top fin 60? I have alot more K1 media, should I make a bigger k1 filter? I also have an extra large API sponge filter in my main tank. Thoughts about how I should set up my 55 gallon with filtration that I have????? Thank you for the help.....

troysdiiscus
10-27-2013, 06:22 PM
anyone??

troysdiiscus
10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
ok i will do what I think is best....

Second Hand Pat
10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Troy, I would suggest moving the fish with the existing filtration to the new tank. You can take your time determining the bio-media you want to add to the which ever filter you end up running.

troysdiiscus
10-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I have some ceramic rings in my canister I am planning to put in the hob along with some purigen, along with that the K1 liter bottle and sponge filter should be fine. Planning on putting safe in the tank for about 30 minutes then add the filters and then fish. Should be good to go?

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Troy, is the canister filter on the juvie tank now? and you are just moving over the bio-media then should be ok. I do not use safe so would suggest following the directions on the bottle.

troysdiiscus
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
No the rings are in the main tank in a canister. I have had no issues in my main tank and the pair also was out of my main tank that produced the fry.

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Troy, I would move the juvies and their filtration to the new tank and add more filtration later if you wish. I tend to be rather careful with juvies and not try to change things up to fast.

troysdiiscus
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
ok thanks Pat.