PDA

View Full Version : tank cycling

mattyb
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I will be cycling my new 225G tank soon, my discus are going to love the upgrade tank :) I heard that dropping in a few gold fish is a good way to speed up process? What are people's opinions on this? Is there a quicker way to to cycle?

Discusdude7
10-29-2013, 07:07 PM
NO please don't add goldfish. Sometimes they have diseases and other nasties u don't want in ur discus tank, also there is a quicker way to cycle. See if your lfs has tetra safestart..then go to ace hardware and get some pure ammonia. Make sure no scent or soap added, how I tell is shake the bottle and there's foam at the top then it's the wrong type of ammonia. Double.. Heck even tripe dose the safestart and add 2-4 ppm of pure ammonia to tank. Wait until ammo drops down to 1 ppm and you start see nitrites then add more ammo to tank. Repeat until you see nitrates. When you add 1-2 ppm of ammo and it turns into nitrATEs overnight ur golden.
Good luck.

mattyb
10-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Ok Cheers how often do I dose ammonia?

Elliots
10-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Mattyb, there are other brands besides the Tetra one. Kens Fish in the USA has several. Check them to see what is on the market then see if they are available in Australia. I do not know if Kens ships to Australia.