PDA

View Full Version : What is the better place to make a water replacement hole?

noam
11-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Hi all,
I plan to build a new breeding aquarium for my discus fish, my question to you is where to place the hole for the water replacement?

Options:
1. I can drill it at water level – and have the water flow out of the aquarium at this height.
2. I can make it in the bottom of the tank, and connect a Pipeline to it and the height of the tube will be the water level.

I understand the second option is better for cleaning and fast water replacement, and the first is better for ongoing replacements, what do you think? What is the Best option?

Thanks in advance,

Gixxert
11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Bottom of the tank is far better. Can easilly change the water level if you have fry that won't attach. Simpy cut a shorter pipe and perfect for water changes and maintenance. Hope this helps.

Terry.

SMB2
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
As long as the bottom bulkhead NEVER leaks. If it does when you're not home then you loose all the water in the tank and the fish die.
I suspect some here place it mid tank with an elbow up or down as needed. Then if it ever leaks the fish still have water and not as much goes on the floor.

John_Nicholson
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Bingo.....I have done this for years. Works like a dream.

-john

As long as the bottom bulkhead NEVER leaks. If it does when you're not home then you loose all the water in the tank and the fish die.
I suspect some here place it mid tank with an elbow up or down as needed. Then if it ever leaks the fish still have water and not as much goes on the floor.