PDA

View Full Version : Mesonauta Mirificus as discus tank mate

vendetta
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I guys.

I want to tell you my recently experiences with this tank mates.

Some weeks ago I was looking for some Mesonauta Festivum, because I saw some of the Discusn00b's videos; where he have mixed wild discus with Mesonautas.

I saw in a local fish market "Mesonautas Festivum"; but with the difference that in the part of the stomach the color was intense orange. I bought them.

Looking for information I discovered that they're not Festivum; they are Mesonauta Mirificus; very similar, they live in more acidic waters near to Peru.

Well I had them in a QT tank for two weeks, They were very shy; no accepting Tetra Color nor blackworm.

One week ago I moved from the QT tank to my display tank; they're very friendly with the discus, starting eat very well and no shy any more...

Curiously they are mixed all the time with discus, as be also discus; really nice behavior.

Ryan
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I've kept three species of Mesonauta (which are all commonly called Festivums, just as all Heros are commonly called Severums) and all turn aggressive once the males are larger and reach breeding age. They will dive-bomb other cichlids including discus. I separated mine from my discus once the males reached about 5" and I saw them attacking the dorsal rays on the discus. It didn't seem to do any physical damage but it made the discus jumpy.

vendetta
11-06-2013, 01:34 AM
I've kept three species of Mesonauta (which are all commonly called Festivums, just as all Heros are commonly called Severums) and all turn aggressive once the males are larger and reach breeding age. They will dive-bomb other cichlids including discus. I separated mine from my discus once the males reached about 5" and I saw them attacking the dorsal rays on the discus. It didn't seem to do any physical damage but it made the discus jumpy.

Thanks for the comment.. I'll take care about it; if I note any kind of agressive behaviour I'will split them.