PDA

View Full Version : Discus Disasters...

dkeef
11-09-2013, 04:38 AM
I came home, fed them and was almost done with WC and then noticed my Piwowski cobalt from Josie couldnt be found.
i looked everywhere and again no where to be found.
i even went to my CCTV and rewinded whole day to see what happended. no one opened the tank canopy.
then after carefully looking again in the back, there it is all curled up, dried. it jumped out thru the 4" space in the back of the canopy.
this was one of the best solid piwowski cobalt ive seen and he was my bluest one.
man last week, white angel bangs his head and dies. then today this...
can it get any worse???

i feel like the only way to make me feel better is to get some more...

MKD
11-09-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm sorry David. it sounds like they get spooky and jump, I would check the surroundings, like light, entrance, reflection, traffic....something may make quick scare them.

William Palumbo
11-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I think most have lost a fish or two that way, oh, and they are usually your favorite/best ones! Honestly a 4 inch space, is about 3 inches more than a Discus needs to get out. Can it get worse?...Oh yea!...Bill

Madaboutdiscus
11-09-2013, 10:13 AM
The glass top we have left about a 2 inch gap in the back. Fortunately it came with a plastic piece to slide up on the back. It covers it completely with no gaps. We had to cut it to make room for the filter but we cut it exact and theres no space for them to get out. Ours were so jumpy at first we had to do it. Theyd get scared and make a beeline for the top.

-Victoria

Chicago Discus
11-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Oh David thats terrible I hate when that happends :(:(.......Josie

Skip
11-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Yep.. that sucks. . Nicole lost a nada show winner same way

dkeef
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Josie i feel terrible. Especially knowing that u really gave me one of the best.
Im loosing few fish by some stupid accidents even tho im caring for them as best as i could.
Feel so defeated.

I gotta cover my back somehow. I cant do glass tops cuz the two 6" cross brace is only in the middle two area(2' apart in middle) and not side.
Need something flexible and light to cover thr back 4" open space. Rest of space is covered by canopy.

Now its waiting for the right ones again. Then qt and then hope others dont get sick from new ones all over again. Sigh...

NAB
11-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Dave, sorry to hear. Egg crate might work for those four inch spaces. You can cut it to fit.

dkeef
11-09-2013, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVt0xRW-bI&sns=em

Guys i found joeys cover to be perfect for my application.
Has anyone seen these at lowes or homedepot and knows what its called?
What section is greenhouse cover at hardware stores?

MKD
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Just what I do to my tank. I use aquarium background (you can use plastic ) tape it by Scott tape. It save discus and heat escape.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

discuspaul
11-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Real sorry to hear about your misfortunes, David. It's no consolation, but it happens to all of us, at one time or another. There will be better days ahead.

Elliots
11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Until you can get plastic or glass saran wrap works well as well as aluminum foil but the foil does not let light in.

BODYDUB
11-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Sorry for your loss...............

dkeef
11-12-2013, 12:26 AM
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/dkreef/null_zpsf505e53f.jpg

Found a photo of him. Pics are only thing that last...

BODYDUB
11-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Wow, he was a pretty nice fish.................

mattyb
11-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Wow... Sorry for your loss, I have same type not as good quality as that but at 6inch, I would just give up on discus if I lost him, scary enough I have had discus for 6 months and all my tanks are all opened up the top! Wow I think I better put the glass lids on :s never known them to jump out of a tank before :s

dkeef
11-12-2013, 01:07 AM
yea cover it dude...who wouldve thought such a round slow fish can jump so high...and mine is covered by canopy 90%...its one of things thats meant to happen.
but i choose to focus on getting more reds and albinos now...

mattyb
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
yea cover it dude...who wouldve thought such a round slow fish can jump so high...and mine is covered by canopy 90%...its one of things thats meant to happen.
but i choose to focus on getting more reds and albinos now...

Yeah and to think I have 9 6-7 inch discus :s I have seen them Dart across the top of the tank splashing water but yeah

Second Hand Pat
11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Discus are not slow, just not agile.

Rudustin
11-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. What a beautiful Discus. It is sad. I have converted all my tanks to glass tops and the plastic fittings that go on the back. This is a lesson to all of us especially if you have open topped tanks. My condolences.

Magoo40
11-12-2013, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVt0xRW-bI&sns=em

Guys i found joeys cover to be perfect for my application.
Has anyone seen these at lowes or homedepot and knows what its called?
What section is greenhouse cover at hardware stores?

The covers in the video are roof sheeting (a brand name here in Austrlia is laser light) same as you would but over a deck on your house you will find it in the building section at any hardware store

krislewis3
11-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. What a beautiful Discus. It is sad. I have converted all my tanks to glass tops and the plastic fittings that go on the back. This is a lesson to all of us especially if you have open topped tanks. My condolences.

I also have the glass top with the plastic strip on the back. I cut the area out of the plastic, for the air tubing and cords etc., also. One morning while I was making coffee, my dog was relentlessly barking at something in my fish room, and guess what? Yep, there was a fish flopping around on the floor, which my dog was playing with. I couldnt believe that he jumped out through such a small opening. Unfortunately, he died. Yet another lesson learned! Kris

tbie2
11-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I use the plastic grate from flourescent light. You can get a 4' by 3' peice and it cuts to size nice I also use them as tank dividers. They cost 12 bucks

dkeef
11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I use the plastic grate from flourescent light. You can get a 4' by 3' peice and it cuts to size nice I also use them as tank dividers. They cost 12 bucks

U talkin about egg crates?

Allwin
11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
aah, sorry for ur loss. i have seen this guy in a different thread u posted.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/dkreef/null_zpsf505e53f.jpg

Found a photo of him. Pics are only thing that last...

Frankr409
11-13-2013, 12:44 PM
U talkin about egg crates? Sorry for your loss, that is a beautiful fish indeed. I had 6 Blue Turq's that I had to foster off while my house was being renovated and I miss them to this day.

I was thinking the egg crate material as well for what it is worth. You can easily cut it to size, and it surely would hold back the fish.

tbie2
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure they call them egg crates theyre light shields.

Sorry for your loss

dirtyplants
11-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Egg crate is called egg crate, found in ceiling dept. or light and ceiling at hardware store. This is the white small squares that comes in 4 feet sheets. This is not the clear stuff in the video.

Skip
11-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Egg crate is called egg crate, found in ceiling dept. or light and ceiling at hardware store. This is the white small squares that comes in 4 feet sheets. This is not the clear stuff in the video.

yes.. its a light diffuser.. not to be confused with egg crate foam for beds.. :)

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/2/2e/2e6dca65_Plastic_egg_crate_light_diffuser.jpeg

tbie2
11-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes this is what I use works great it was recomended to me by Mark he is a breeder from Brooklyn he has nice fish