PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining new fish.

Magoo40
11-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi can someone give me suggestions on Quarantining new fish.

Tank - 42G BB 1 Air stone built in overhead filter water pumped through floss / bio balls, tank is cycled.

1. Tank temp any change from normal
2. Plop and drop or add tank water to travel water to reduce Ph shock (my Ph is 7.8)
3. Do I cover the tank for the first few days
4. Lights on or off
5. Do I add salt
6. Feed day 2 and feed food like live worms so it does not fowl the water as fast if they don’t eat
7. Just observe or start medication routine (What medication routine)
8. Water change routine
9. Duration of Quarantine
10. What have I missed

Skip
11-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Don't mix hoses. Nets.. filters.. between qt and existing tanks

GeauxDiscus
11-11-2013, 11:51 PM
1. Tank temp any change from normal - Use whatever temperature you are going to have in your main/show tank.
2. Plop and drop or add tank water to travel water to reduce Ph shock (my Ph is 7.8) Given your high pH, I would definitely mix.
3. Do I cover the tank for the first few days IMO, the tank should always be covered. Not only can some fish diseases go airborne, but discus jump! (sometimes to their own demise)
4. Lights on or off OFF for the first several days. They will be freaked from shipping/transfer, and are sensitive to light as it is. The darker environment will give them some comfort.
5. Do I add salt Not unless you are treating for something specific.
6. Feed day 2 and feed food like live worms so it does not fowl the water as fast if they don’t eat Don't feed the first day, and then feed lightly on day 2. I always try whatever food I feed my show tank first, but be prepared to vacuum/net uneaten food.
7. Just observe or start medication routine (What medication routine) I'd give them a week to settle into your quarantine tank before you de-worm. Also you should watch for bacterial/viral issues during that time. If there are no obvious bacterial or viral issues, then I ALWAYS de-worm new arrivals, because you never know if they are carrying worms, and you don't want to infect your show tank. My standard de-worm routine:

1. Remove the carbon from the filter. (if you use carbon - I don't anymore)
2. For the first 48 hours, treat with the following two meds concurrently:
A. API General Cure (Metronidazole and Praziquantel)
B. Levamisole Hydrochloride (get powdered form from farm supply or Jeffers Pet) at a dosage of 2 mg/L (2 ppm), or 1/10th teaspoon per 50 gallons.
3. After the 48 hours is up, add more API General Cure.
4. Wait another 48 hours, and then do a 70% water change along with a thorough vacuum.
5. Put a new carbon filter in the tank. (if you use carbon)

8. Water change routine Different for adults vs. juvies. Juvies are 50% per day, adults vary depending on who you talk to, but IMO, 50% twice a week.
9. Duration of Quarantine Again, this varies depending on who you talk to, but most people on this forum would say 4 to 6 weeks. I do 4, because I've never seen anything rear its nasty head in less than a couple of weeks.
10. What have I missed Quarantine tank should be in a quiet room with no kids/pets jumping around. :bounce: They will spook easily the first few weeks (and sometimes knock the crap out of themselves), so move slowly when cleaning the tank and feeding. Also, they like you to talk nicely to them - no kidding. :laugh:

BODYDUB
11-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Here's more info..................
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions

Magoo40
11-12-2013, 05:21 PM
2. Plop and drop or add tank water to travel water to reduce Ph shock (my Ph is 7.8) Given your high pH, I would definitely mix.

Thanks for the reply, any idea what water mixing (Qty). I should do over what duration to change the Ph. Or alternativly i could just buffer the Ph in QT tank down then bring it up slowy with water changes over a week.

Magoo40
11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Here's more info..................
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions

I did read this post, as it was quite old i thought i would reach out for any recent thinking.

troysdiiscus
11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
I would drip acclimate when you get home. Get an air hose line and I crimp with a rubberband to get a slow drip rate in 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks for the reply, any idea what water mixing (Qty). I should do over what duration to change the Ph. Or alternativly i could just buffer the Ph in QT tank down then bring it up slowy with water changes over a week.

Magoo40
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
6. Feed day 2 and feed food like live worms so it does not fowl the water as fast if they don’t eat [COLOR="#FF0000"]Don't feed the first day, and then feed lightly on day 2. I always try whatever food I feed my show tank first, but be prepared to vacuum/net uneaten food

Is best to treat the food with the meds like Metro soaked live worms?

troysdiiscus
11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
why would you treat with metro when there is nothing wrong with them? Treat them with good clean water...
6. Feed day 2 and feed food like live worms so it does not fowl the water as fast if they don’t eat [COLOR="#FF0000"]Don't feed the first day, and then feed lightly on day 2. I always try whatever food I feed my show tank first, but be prepared to vacuum/net uneaten food

Is best to treat the food with the meds like Metro soaked live worms?

Magoo40
11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Ok so you disagree with the advice above then, what do you suggest?

Question - IF you have to treat with meds at any time for a reason is it ok to treat the food depending on the type of treatment.

GeauxDiscus
11-12-2013, 10:01 PM

I like your idea about bringing the tank pH down. I'd do both, because you most likely won't know the pH of the tank the fish came from. You could bring your tank pH down, and then add a cup or two of tank water while you're acclimating your new arrival to the tank temp. 30 minutes usually seems to be enough.

GeauxDiscus
11-12-2013, 10:09 PM
why would you treat with metro when there is nothing wrong with them? Treat them with good clean water...

I agree that you shouldn't treat for bacteria unless you see visible signs of illness, but you should always WORM newcomers, because worms can often go undetected for long periods and can infect the rest of the tank. If you don't believe me, check out this post from Josie:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93840-Tape-worm-example-check-this-out

However, to answer Magoo's question, I wouldn't use metro just for the sake of using metro. You should follow a methodical de-worm routine.

Magoo40
11-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the response, i think i will do both.

Magoo40
11-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Ok i will deworm only, thanks for the response.