PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take to seed a new AC110 filter in an established 125 Gallon tank?

Rudustin
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a new fifty five gallon tank and have bought a new AC 110 filter for it and I am running it in my 125 gallon tank now. How long does it need to seed the media (two sponge inserts and one bag of ceramic beads)? I am aging the water in the 55 gallon and aerating and heating it. How could I determine when it is ready? Any advice would be appreciated.

sdrexler078
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Are you putting new fish in 55 or moving some out of your 125. If you're using new fish I would just start over so you don't contaminate the new tank with anything from the 125

sdrexler078
11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
But normally a few weeks to be safe.

Rudustin
11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks. I am moving fish from the 125 to the 55. How will I know that it is ready? I have a tank full of my mistakes because I didn't have the heart to euthanize them. They are adults and two are about seven inches and have gone through hell and back with me as a new discus owner. I call it the tank of the misbegotten! I can move one or two of the strongest ones in the new tank in a couple of weeks. Would that be a better test than to put in the sub adults that I am planning to move from the 125?

Skip
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
couple of weeks..

Rudustin
11-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks.

trungnguyen
11-12-2013, 11:37 PM
I think it could take couple weeks to be seeded. However, it depends on your beneficial bacteria colonies in your 125 gallon tank. If they are strong and crowded, it would take quickly. You can improve more WC on the big tank to help a bit too. I hope this helps.

Rudustin
11-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks. I've figured it out actually. The 125 gets fifty percent water changes with aged water every day so I'm sure that the bacterial colony is strong. I have two very established AC110s already on the 125 so I will most likely in a week or two take one of the established AC's and put it in the fifty five and leave the new one in the 125 with the other already established AC110. I realized that that was the immediate solution but I'm going to wait ten days anyway before I do change the filters. Thanks for the advice.

trungnguyen
11-13-2013, 04:32 AM
When you place the established AC to the new 55 gallon tank, don't transfer fish right away. Just let it run for few days and test the water, make sure everything is good and ready for discus. Since you transfer them to new tank will stress them out a bit, so make sure the water is good enough to confront them quick...hope this help

Rudustin
11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Okay. I will do that. I have great water here in Miami Beach that has great quality. Very lucky. We can actually drink our water directly from the tap so water is usually not an issue but I will make sure that everything is right for my fish. thanks again.

Skip
11-13-2013, 10:43 AM
the longer the better.. :)

Elliots
11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Rudustin, If you do not transfer fish into your new tank the BB may die without food and your tank might become uncycled. With no fish add ammonia. I do not know how long it takes for BB to die without food nor do I know how much ammonia to add. If you are putting you old fish from your 125g into the 55 and also moving a going filter you do not have to wait. If you want it is probably okay to transfer 55g of water from your old tank to your new tank. The precautions mentioned on previous posts are precautions if you are putting new fish into your 55g.
I think trungnguyen missed the fact that you are transfering old fish from your 125g into your 55g and he gave advice on adding new fish to your 55g or fish from a third tank.

Rudustin
11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks Elliots. I have a plan but thanks for the advice. That is what this forum is about and I appreciate your clarification.