PDA

View Full Version : A little guidance identifying probable strain / lineage

sheaspina
11-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey folks. Thought I would ask for the insights of those more experienced than myself. I'm looking for some help in having a better understanding of what exactly I've got. I know there's variables upon variables, and even any judgements from here are only educated guesses, but I'm just looking for some opinions from more experienced folks.

I've attatched (if it worked right) a vid of few fish that I've started breeding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcpmva9oqn8269a/2013-11-12%2018.37.48.mp4

first off:

The male on the upper tank, and the first shown male/female on the lower tank, are all siblings. These were marketed as "Royal Red Turqs". In other experience I've been led to assume "royal" indicates horizontal patterning, though only one of the three remotely displays any of this, so I'm not sure what exactly the "marketers" intended description is there. Thing is, I'm really on the fence on wether these are red turq's or some variant of a brilliant. They seem to me to be a little thicker in the turqoise than most typical red turq specimens i see. Also, their red is kind more deep blood color than the very slightly orangish i see a lot. On the other hand, they don't look exactly like a lot of examples I find of brillant's either, that are mostly turquoise with just a few little slivers of red. Their diet consists of roughly 1/2 n 1/2 beefheart & tetra bits.

I know it may be immediately apparent to some here, but having only started discus a little over a year ago, my experience still rather limited & I just haven't been able to make up my mind what the hell these guys are. Maybe a cross? \o/

Second, is a couple of the females. The female in the upper tank, I've assumed to be blue turq, and the female with the lss in the lower tank, I've assumed to be flachen, are also siblings with each other. I got them as part of a group of 4 nickles probably almost a year ago now. The fry in this group (i got them from the breeder) seemed to be about 50/50 6? & 9? bar (i got 2 of each), the 6's being the flachen & 9 being turq. Forgive me on the exact bar count, it's been ages since i thought about it.

My question is, is there a common pairing that is likely to produce this type of spawn? As far as these two, I'm just looking to see if it's possible to gain any insight into what some of their possible lineage may be. With all the "marketing" names thrown at variations, it can be a bit difficult to try to figure out what exactly you've got.

Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Shea

Rudustin
11-13-2013, 01:20 AM
I'm still new at this but all of your fish are really great looking. I'm sure someone on this forum can help you identify them. Good luck

sheaspina
11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks, glad you think so.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?57255-Red-Turquoise-x-Blue-diamond-fry-development

I came across this in chronological development section, and it has me thinking my females may be the result of a similar pairing, which would suggest the possibility of their parents (or recent elders) being blue diamond & blue turq. Aside from the red turqs red/orange hues those fry seem to be nearly identical to my females in terms of patterning & bar count. Thoughts?

On a side note, I meant to say previously I thought the one female to be cobalt, not flachen.......I still confuse the two all the time.