PDA

View Full Version : Stocking question and canister vs sump

Fish from Philly
11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
80720Hey - so I was just looking at dkeef's thread and rather than hijacking, decided to start a new one.

There is a sale this weekend for 50% off all freshwater at nice lfs. They have a nice selection of Hans discus and am considering picking up a 4"-5" guy to add to the school. Was curious as to thoughts on stocking below:

My current stock: 11 discus (4"-6"), 12 rummys, 8 cardinals (would like to make closer to 20-25), 8 corey sterbai, 3 gold rams, 2 GBR, 1 electric blue ram, BN pleco, spotted headstander. I posted a thread about zebra and L177 golden nugget and the plan now is to pick up 2 zebras from another member by month's end. I know to monitor nitrates and obviously will do more water changes as need be. OK to add the plecos, another discus or 2, and another 15 cardinals or so? I currently run two FX5's but have a fluval 405 not being used that I could set up if need be. I have a good amount of plants in the tank and do 50% water changes 3 times a week.

Side note: I have 2 discus that basically don't school with the others and thought they were sick because nitrates tend to creep to 20 if I don't change water after 2 days. Got my waer tested at store day after w/c amd it was close to 10 (about what it comes out of tap). I was hoping increasing the school would help but it hasn't yet. dkeef wrote in his thread that he has some that just hide and my tank is very similar to his with the plants (just smaller!) so maybe nothing wrong and they are just shy...

Attaching a fts

ericatdallas
11-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Why not just order direct from Hans? I've noticed my LFS puts a premium on Han's discuses (i.e. $250 for something that Hans sells for half that). You'll also not have it 'contaminated' by LFS water.

Fish from Philly
11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
It's a good point...their markup normally isn't so bad but since they only have 4" fish...I'd only be saving $20 when it's all said and done. Prob not worth the risk plus you can hand pick if you go to his store (I'm only 90 min or so)

I'm waiting for mine to grow up a bit so I can get a jumbo or two...all these other threads got me jealous

joanstone
11-19-2013, 03:32 PM
It seems to me that since Hans makes his living selling discus to LFSs, he might appreciate us not being so quick to always disregard that option, especially when shipping for the one fish he is thinking of adding would be ridiculous. I totally get what you're saying though, and I would be hesitant myself. Every LFS is different though in pricing and care of fish. A store fairly near me sells Hans discus for right around what he does. The plus side is that you can actually see the fish, tanks,etc. and get the fish's "history" before you decide. Obviously a QT would be a BIG must as the LFS water, etc is a big negative as was pointed out. Seems like you are kind of at or right around your limit IMO, especially since you already have some concerns about your current fish and are already planning on adding more other fish. If your nitrates are doubling in two days, seems like you must have a hefty bioload especially since you have plants. I didn't see anything about adding a sump except in your title, but if you can it sure wouldn't hurt.

joanstone
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Now I see you're only 90 minutes from Hans-- it's a no brainer!

Fish from Philly
11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
It's a bit misleading since the water I add is already at 10 so after 3 days I notice the nitrate test is darker orange than the tap. Not sure if 15 or 20 but basically if I see it darker than tap I do a water change

Ill have to research adding a sump to an existing set up. I wouldn't want to start drilling holes etc but I could def add the 405. I've read here turning the water over 10 times an hour is ideal so if fx5 does 950 like manual says, I would be at 12 and considered to be plenty filtered. I guess the advantage to sump is having more water to spread nitrates over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ronald sherman
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Fish from philly no sure where you are in phila but I've been wanting more than anything too go too Han's if and when you go if you don't mind me going along I'd more than be willing too give you 20-25 dollar's toward's gas, or whatever you think is fair I have several MEDICAL, problem's and at this time at least for the next yr can't drive as I of the several condition is Narcolepsy, so I don't have the option of jumping in a car whenever I want and going too hain's btw who is the lfs that has hain's discus could only be hidden reef, of fish factory,

joanstone
11-19-2013, 08:40 PM
I love having a sump for many reasons. One of the biggest is more water volume like you said. It also enables you to add all kinds of different filtering options, reactors, etc-- and everything is out of the show tank. Since your tank is already set up, you could add an overflow box if you didn't want to take the tank down and drill it.

Mgardner
11-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Which LFS? There's one in SJ that sells Hans discus that had a dead one and some shady ones the last time I was there...

Fish from Philly
11-19-2013, 09:31 PM
You're thinking aquarium center maybe?

I meant hidden reef yes.

Ronald ill let you know when I go down!

Mgardner
11-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that's the one I meant. They used to have decent fish and I've grown out a few from there, but I lost more than a few fish from there before I started buying from Kenny.

Fish from Philly
11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
I've had great experiences with aquarium center and hidden reef. AC is best quality and variety around but a bit pricier. HR seems to have good selection but I see dead fish more than Id like. Fish factory has great staff but I've had almost every tetra I bought die.

Fish from Philly
11-20-2013, 09:19 AM
I love having a sump for many reasons. One of the biggest is more water volume like you said. It also enables you to add all kinds of different filtering options, reactors, etc-- and everything is out of the show tank. Since your tank is already set up, you could add an overflow box if you didn't want to take the tank down and drill it.

I'm going to look into overflow. I love the idea of more volume. Most of my equipment is or will be hidden by plants but I've seen setups with mini lights and a ton of sprite and hornwort to absorb nitrates and that could be very beneficial

Thanks!!