PDA

View Full Version : Nemitodes

tbie2
11-20-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm mortified I just saw one of the fry in my breeder tank eat a nemitode. My ? is when is too young to worm my fry they are 20 days old today. Thanks for any info

tbie2
11-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I just started seeing these worms in the last week. I never had this problem before I think they came from the Angelfish I used to cycle the tank

Skip
11-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Why do u think it was nematode

dirtyplants
11-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Yes why a nemitode? Microscope?

tbie2
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Because thats what I came up with from internet. I really dont know what they are they look like hairs about 1/2 inch long and squiggly. In 25 years having fishtanks I have never had this problem. I feed frozen bloodworms, Omega flake,frozen brine shrimp and first bites Hikari. The only way I can see these introduced into my tank is through food. I dont know I'm a little freaked out with this

sdrexler078
11-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Do more water changes and they'll go away and I don't think its a nematode. Its planaria or something and is from left over foods and not enough water changes

tbie2
11-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I will do more water changes but I already do everyday 20 to 50 % sometimes more. Do you think they will hurt my fish?

Skip
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Do more water changes and they'll go away and I don't think its a nematode. Its planaria or something and is from left over foods and not enough water changes

Bingo!

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Regardless if it's neatodes or planaria. What has me concerened if that you a rasing fry in infested water. When w/c's should be a their peak with fry to maintain prestine water quality.................

tbie2
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
It happened I am doing my best to rectify the problem. I have never had this problem before but I will fix it I am constantly changing water guess I will be changing more water. The fry seem to be fine. I wasnt trying to breed these two together it just happened. Thanks for your concern though.

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a butthead, just making an observation..........

tbie2
11-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I get it, I am concerned or I would not have put it here.I am open to whatever anyone has to say. I just dont know how it could be a water thing I really change water everyday. I have stepped it up a bit since the fry hatched from 20% to 50/80% daily. Does anyone know where they come from I doubt its from my water as I was using 80% ro and our water is treated heavily. I dont feed any live food because I'm afraid of this. Maybe I'm making more of this than it should be I have only seen like 4 or 5 of them just freaked me out when I saw one of the fry eat it. I think of them like cockroaches for every one you see there are 100 hiding out somewhere. Thanks for any input you have

strawberryblonde
11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
They are called detritus worms. They live in filter media and you only tend to see them when there is too much detritus in the tank. At that point they come out to play and you'll see them hanging around the sides and bottom of the tank.

Do you have any substrate? How often do you rinse out your filter media? What type of filters are you using and if they aren't sponge filters, do you use pre-filters and wash them daily?

All those things contribute to a detritus worm explosion. Clear that up and increase water changes and they'll go away again. They aren't harmful to your discus, just unsightly and an indication of a potential water quality/dirty filter media problem.

dirtyplants
11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Do you have a link as to the picture you saw on the net?

tbie2
11-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a bubbler and whisper2. I rinse the bubbler with tank water every week or so and probably rinse the whisper cartridge every couple of weeks and change every 2 months. When I change it I add extra charcoal and ammonia flakes.

I kept Discus 20 yrs ago before internet so when I started this again I did what I did 20 years ago.I learn something new everyday. I really wasn't going for breeding it just kind of happened.

Today is day 22 for the fry. They are eating well so I'm thinking about putting the adults back in my main tank and making a new tank for the fry. I was thinking about starting new with a 30 long that I have. I was going to fill it with 20% ro 80% aged tap. Take my bubbler from the tank I have them in now and putting it in the 30. Then I was going to take the tank I have them in now empty clean and start a cycle with some Angelfish or rainbows I have in another tank. I'm a little concerned about the cycle of the 30 but I'm thinking with the bubbler and 80/90% water changes it could work

Any input or comments or constructive criticism greatly appreciated

tbie2
11-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Bump What does anyone think

OC Discus
11-23-2013, 10:49 PM
If you have separate sponge bio filter and prefilter, rinse the prefilter every water change or at least every other day. It can be rinsed in the sink with plain tap water, just get all the stuff out of it. If you haven't flushed the filter lately, you might want to put your bio pads in a cup of tank water and rinse the whole filter inside and out with hot tap water.

You might also do better to change the cartridge monthly in addition to a good rinsing every couple of days.

tbie2
11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks

DonMD
11-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I just raised two batches of fry, they're now 3 and 4 months old. I was using sponge filters only, in 29 gallon tanks. At one point I had those exact worms, and it was in fact due to the heavy feeding I was doing, combined with not rinsing out my sponge filters, and especially the bases of those sponge filters. But no big deal, those fry have grown up BIG, to the point that I'm selling them. Those worms won't hurt your fish, I don't think, but are a sign. I hope you can grow out those fry, it's a lot of fun, but also A LOT OF WORK LOL!

tbie2
11-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks I think I have a handle on them havent seen one in a few days