PDA

View Full Version : Changing Water Question

banks2
11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
This weekend I'm starting my aging barrel and I have a few questions.
I'm going to use a powerhead to drain my water to the basement, thanks to John Hatton and his pics. The barrel is also in the basement so I need to pump the water to my tank upstairs which I'd say will have 20' of travel. My question is, is there a way to shut the pump off in the aging barrel when the level in the discus tank reaches the determined level ?? Is that what this is http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/spectrapure-power-liquid-level-controller-auto-top-off.html ?? If it is, can I connect this to my own pump or do I need a pump that works with this gizmo ??
I was also wondering what kind of inline filter would be good to use or do I even need one ??
I'm looking at Bulk Reef Supply and they have uniseals, are they reliable and long lasting, or is there something else better??
That's it for now, more questions to come.

Thanks Dave

sdrexler078
11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
I think that should work but I don't know how long it reaches but it just shuts off power. You could just have a valve on the hose going up to shut off flow then go turn off pump. Or I've heard of people using a remote shut off that also just kills power. Just be carefully killing power with hose in tank it'll start syphoning back out.

sdrexler078
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I had mine start syphoning back out so I had to put a valve to stop the flow first.

dirtyplants
11-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Could try a check valve also that will prevent back syphoning. Not sure of diameter of hose.

Discusdude7
11-23-2013, 05:43 PM
What type of pump to you plan on using?