PDA

View Full Version : Air Bubbles In Tap Water

dinnese
11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Over the past few weeks I've noticed that I have had an unusual amount of air bubbles in my tap water. I've been having good success putting tap water directly into my tanks along with Prime as their filling but lately it has me a little concerned because of the amount of air that's in the water. My second and most important concern is that immediately after the water changes the body slime on my Discus begins to peel off. It only lasts temporarily or so and by the next day they appear to be back to normal. I was wondering if anybody has had the same experience with this sort of issue or may have any input as to what could be causing this. Thanks.

Wes
11-20-2013, 10:57 PM
winter water. I donot age water in summer months but I age water in late fall and into winter. Winter water in northern US causes the slime to come off. This stresses the fish but has never had any heath problems. Ageing your water should solve the problem. I age the water from an hour to 3 hours with a air stone and recirculating pump and it takes care of the microbubbles and the shedding of slim coat.

Skip
11-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Yep.. microbubbles. During winter. . Usually in the hot water.. at least in my case..

Elliots
11-21-2013, 06:52 AM
xeriod, I had big problems with Winter water last year because I was unaware that my tap water in NYC changed so much. I live in an apartment and I do not have room to age water. I change less water more often and so far this year no problems.

banks2
11-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Do they add other chemicals during the winter ??
Dave

Wes
11-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Not that I know of. It seems like temp difference going into hot water heater causes the microbubbles. Some ph change by me also.

tbie2
11-21-2013, 08:44 AM
In NY they add clorine and flouride to our water. I age 24 hrs with airpump its a pain but I can smell the clorine so I would think it could hurt the fish. In my other tanks I dont age but I dont keep discus in them

banks2
11-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Are the microbubbles bad , or is it a aesthetic thing ??
Thanks Dave

Skip
11-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Are the microbubbles bad , or is it a aesthetic thing ??
Thanks Dave

not sure if it is bad.. but slime coats do fall off.. they don't seem to like it.. however, after about 20 min. they are ok again.. i started to keep the water at a colder temp.. to offset some of the bubbles..

you can use the search box.. for MICROBUBBLES.. there are MANY threads on topic

banks2
11-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Skip, I will do that..
Dave

banks2
11-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Very interesting topic, it's good to know. I never would have thought of this happening.
Dave

dirtyplants
11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
This is interesting to me, living in the north my aged tank heater started tripping fuses so I figured it must be going so I have been using tap water for heated water. I ran the water into my shower first at high heat, then mixed it with the cold to get the desired tamp for my tanks. Micro bubbles although sticking to the ends of the fins did not bother any of my fish, no slime drop, on the other hand did allow for slime dropping with the one in the sick bay. My new heater will arrive soon so this will not be an issue but I am interested in the process and wondering if this is called something else by the water department.