PDA

View Full Version : breeding behavior?

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 01:55 AM
So im not 100% sure about what spawning behavior of discus looks like as mine have never bred but im wondering if maybe that's what's going on. My fish are "shimmying" and shaking one does it a lot worse than the rest. It kind of looks like a seizure going on (for lack of a better way to describe it) the one that's shaking the most has been pecking at the corner of the tank a lot. There also getting a lot more aggressive toward eachother. They were all really mellow and got a long and then all of a sudden they started pecking and chasing and showing a lot more aggression. Can someone tell me if they could be getting ready to spawn or if they could be sick or what the world is going on maybe? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

fishaddict
11-21-2013, 02:36 AM
sounds like spawning behavior to me

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Thank you!

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Is it normal for them to single out 1 certain fish more than others? They all are bickering and pecking at eachother but they seem worse against 1 fish im worried for him :-( I don't want him getting hurt or killed or anything

Skip
11-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Can someone tell me if they could be getting ready to spawn or if they could be sick or what the world is going on maybe? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

post a video. much easier

Skip
11-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Is it normal for them to single out 1 certain fish more than others? They all are bickering and pecking at eachother but they seem worse against 1 fish im worried for him :-( I don't want him getting hurt or killed or anything

1. yes..

2. he won't get killed.. it is normal.. you must have small fish.. less than 4" yes.. ?

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
So im not 100% sure about what spawning behavior of discus looks like as mine have never bred but im wondering if maybe that's what's going on. My fish are "shimmying" and shaking one does it a lot worse than the rest. It kind of looks like a seizure going on (for lack of a better way to describe it) the one that's shaking the most has been pecking at the corner of the tank a lot. There also getting a lot more aggressive toward eachother. They were all really mellow and got a long and then all of a sudden they started pecking and chasing and showing a lot more aggression. Can someone tell me if they could be getting ready to spawn or if they could be sick or what the world is going on maybe? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sounds like normal spawing behavior to me.............

There is always a low man at the end of the totem pole........

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
1. yes..

2. he won't get killed.. it is normal.. you must have small fish.. less than 4" yes.. ?

They are less than 4" im guessing pretty close to 4" though ill try to take a video and post it they are really doing a number on him he's looking pretty beat up we were contemplating moving him to a different tank so he gets a break from it

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Sounds like normal spawing behavior to me.............

There is always a low man at the end of the totem pole........

Well he was never the low man until recently we have a 2 1/2" fish in there and the juvie is even beating him up bad he's not really trying to stick up for himself like he used to only to 2 of the fish will he stand up to I just don't get why he's letting the smallest fish beat him up and all the others and will only stand up to 2 of the ones that pick on him.

tvaneekhoven
11-21-2013, 11:18 PM
So my biggest fish is cleaning a corner of the tank and shimmying and rubbing her belly all the way up the side of the tank....is she trying to lay eggs?! Nothing is coming out? she won't eat that's all she's been doing for the last hour or so....

Skip
11-21-2013, 11:41 PM
So my biggest fish is cleaning a corner of the tank and shimmying and rubbing her belly all the way up the side of the tank....is she trying to lay eggs?! Nothing is coming out? she won't eat that's all she's been doing for the last hour or so....

Probably jus over excited male

tvaneekhoven
11-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Well the one that's getting beat up the most laid eggs today but another fish was right there eating them as fast as she could lay them :-( why would they be beating up the female that was ready to spawn the most out of all the other fish in the tank? She's the one I was worried about getting killed.