PDA

View Full Version : odd behaviour

mattyb
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIREProblem1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Have had my discus for 4 months, one of my 6inch red melons have always hid, at the back corner away from any other discus facing the glass. He has been doing it for couple weeks now, I thought maybe just because of ph but seen some really Wierd things, I see him come out at night but as soon as he sees anything outside the tank or a light turn on his back out the back.

Most worrying thing is I seen him come out to the front yesterday with the light on but was very odd. .. was swimming on his side, it looked like he had no idea what was happening around him, attacking what ever in front of him, plant, wood etc and he was twitching really bad. Very worryed, he did it for about 30 secs than darted to back off tank.

All my other discus seem fine, out the front for food all the time, sometimes hid if to many people in the room or loud bangs will go and hid for a little while but expected due to my ph. In there new tank I'm seeing up a co2 injectin kit with controller to make ph stable.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills,*white/yellow/green poop, hiding,headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus,blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Still bright in color, at times you can see him fins right up quite often at the back of the tank, that y left for a while thinking it was ph, until of course yesterday. Sometimes does a tail stand but not like a 90 degree tail stand, prob 45 but not very often. Like his looking up and down the back glass wall. No wounds no spots everything else does signs of healthy.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.Tank/Water

Nothing so far as didn't think was much of a problem. I'm putting them in there upgrade tank in next couple of weeks but don't really want to atm as having this one problem.

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

80G tank
8 discus between 5 to 7 inch
20 neon tetras
6 bristlenoises
4 sae
4 clown loaches
yes this is over stocked, having troubles keeping nitrates below 20 ppm, that is why building a 225G upgrade tank

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

3 to 4 50% water changes a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6 months, fish in for 3-4 months. Planted with 1 inch 3mm gravel

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Do not age water, around 7.4 to 8

8. Parameters and water source;Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 30 degrees celsious
- ph 7.6
- ammonia reading 0.25
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading 20 to 50
What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use?
Normal tap water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I tryed to record but was too slow. He only did what he did once

mattyb
11-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Just went to have a look, light ain't on atm he was at the front, seen me, this time slowly swum to back of tank but he was not swimming on a side. Got a very bad pic of him, staring at the glass fins up, breathing normally just looking at the glass

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131122_065336_zpsc4ab190d.jpg