PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is a disease but...

Madaboutdiscus
11-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Alright so to give a little background our heater quit Monday night. The house heater not the tank. We got the tank water changed before it quit. With lows being in the 30s here we had to go stay at a friends house. Therefore they didnt get their morning feed tuesday or their water change or bedtime feed tuesday. They had a cube of beef heart and a cube of fdbw that day. They didnt get the heat fixed that day. They got it fixed last night. We did get the tank water changed last night but they didnt get their normal feed schedule yesterday. I noticed on tuesday the tank temp had dropped to 84. Last night when we got in it was just under 86. Im not sure how low it had actually dropped in the night. Hopefully not a lot since we did have the heater going. My problem is one fish. They all seemed a little lethargic and not eating but quickly got over it except one. One is still just hanging around and not eating. Not dark no clamped fins no heavy breathing.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
Noticed last night after we arrived home from the heat being off.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Lethargic, not eating sometimes hiding but mostly just not moving around a lot.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None just water change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

56 gallon 5 discus all 6 months old. Around about 3-4.5 inches.
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Almost 1 year barebottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
yes I am aging water now

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __87___

- ph __7.2___

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading 0____

- nitrate reading _<5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

-Victoria

Second Hand Pat
11-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Victoria, sounds like they were not sick before the heater issue. I would be tempted to observe for now and maintain your normal routine on WCs and feeding.

Madaboutdiscus
11-21-2013, 11:32 PM
No they were completely fine before as a matter of fact that one was usually the first to eat. Im observing for now and well see. Hopefully maybe the change in regime and the day of no wc just got him a little upset. Ive seen all normal poo but dont know about this one since hes not eating.

-Victoria

Madaboutdiscus
11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Just an update. My guys eating with vigor again. Guess he just got upset by the change in routine. Hes the almost solid color one lol.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/23/a6aqare6.jpg

-Victoria