PDA

View Full Version : eichhornia crassipes - nitrate reducer plant for discus tank?

mmdiscus1
11-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

I came accross this plantin LFS, floating beautifull plant, quick google search says it reduces nitrate very well.

Any one has experiencej withthis plant, any ideas?
Thanx!

pastry
11-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Haven't heard of anyone with those in a discus tank but from initial looks at the conditions for care it looks like it'd be fine. Says that leaves can burn easily with lamps so guess keep lights a little higher on an open tank and make sure they're timed. one plant looks pretty big though compared to the normal floating plants (more for a pond... but may not be bad in an opened top discus tank).

Anyone else have info? I'm sure someone on here has at least kept them in pond.

mmdiscus1
11-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks pastry for info! I am traveling to Istanbul next week, want to buy new plants for my tank, as where i live nothing decent. My discus hopefully arriving sometime in december.

mmdiscus1
12-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I didnt get it, turns out they didnt haveit on hand, bought java fern and some carpet plants instead.

Skip
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
this plant has been become a Class B Parks and Wildlife Code Misdemeanor and illegal to own, grow, sell, or transport in Texas. With fines of not less than $200 or more than $2000 (per plant) a jail term not to exceed 180 days, or both a fine AND imprisonment.

yea.. i won't ever look to get this one :)

Fish from Philly
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Looks like they are invasive species so may not be readily available.

Wes
12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Looks like they are invasive species so may not be readily available.
eichhornia crassipes Common name water hyacinth you can get it in northern US at any pond supplies store,. It won't make it out doors through the winter in the north US. Thats why the can sell it.