PDA

View Full Version : We need a central U.S. importer of quality discus. Maybe Texas?

White Worm
11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking of someone that KNOWS discus and has a FISH HOUSE. Someone that isn't afraid to shoot straight and has forgotten more about discus than most of us will ever know. Maybe someone that lives near northern Texas? I'm not mentioning any names but his initials are J.N. I would invest and I know there is a strong discus following in these parts. Wouldn't hurt that I could drive and pick up my fish.......

sdrexler078
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I know what you mean it seems like all other areas have importers but the mid south

sdrexler078
11-23-2013, 04:34 PM
And I agree with those initials too haha

White Worm
11-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Yep, Kenny has west coast, Hans has east coast and we have some others in between but Texas could be an awesome addition.

John_Nicholson
11-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Whooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!. I am to the point that I enjoy doing this as a hobby. I like to play with my fish but I do not want to make it a big business. Now if aome of ya'll want to do some sort of a big group order from Hans I would be willing to help. To have the fish shipped here and put in to my extra tanks until ya'll could pick them up but other than that I am just trying to play with my fish...LOL.

-john

rdiscus
11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
This is something I really want to do, but not right now ... :)

White Worm
11-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Come on John, just think how much fun it would be! I'm sure you could find a couple more hours a month to make this happen for the progression of the hobby. I'll swing by and help you unload them into my car....I mean.... your fish house and then there would be someone else with high quality discus to supply the discus hobby. As to the group buy, that sounds like a plan in January after the holidays or if Hans does another one of those "Sales". Might also do group buy from Kenny if you are interested. I still have some work to do my current setup before it is ready. Still can't decide if the garage is the best place to setup or to clear out the office inside the house. Thinking moisture and cost of electricity.

Ryan, it would be awesome to setup an import. I too have thought about it but you need the facility, knowledge and of course a contact to bring in discus. I don't know how I could actually let all those discus go instead of keeping them.

dkeef
11-24-2013, 03:26 AM
I wish to see this happen as well just in case i move to texas. Lol.
Just a group buy alone would be fun tho. And save a lot on shipping.

Tautog
11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
John if you do this for the great state of Texas we could start a business alliance and overflow to Texas. I was in Kansas City for a military engineering conference last week and stopped by LFS. They had a show tank with less than desirable Discus barely 2inches for sale at $180 each.

I get the feeling there are hobbyist in mid west that perceive the cost for Discus to be high but they do t have a decent supply stream.

dirtyplants
11-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I think Texas thinks big, John has it I think maybe a Co-Op style of purchasing.

ericatdallas
11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
I always thought it was weird there wasn't one. Dallas is a transport hub and central to the US. The only problem might be water shortages every now and then. The climate is nice enough that you wouldn't have to spend too much on heating.

John_Nicholson
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
My wife said as soon as ya'll agree in writing to pay our mortgage and bills so will give me the green light...LOL.

-john

dkeef
11-24-2013, 01:50 PM
id totally do this and set it up in the garage if i dont have to lift much finger. if i can hire few employees and they do all the picking up, acclimating, water changes, and feeding and packing and shipping. hahaha... and i actually make a profit.
but from what i see from hans and kenny, seems that they run solo.
anyone know profit margin on it after all overhead expenses?

ericatdallas
11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Central Ohio Discus is pretty 'central' by population and Chicago isn't too far geographically... and is a hub area.

But Dallas is very strategic still...

Susie
11-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, the best way to know that your fish have the best care is to do it yourself. Second best is closely supervise everything yourself. You would need awfully good employees (translates to well paid in my mind) to be able to turn your back on your operation.

White Worm
11-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I watched the recent interview with Hans and he shows how he can do a water change on a whole double deck'r row of tanks by himself by just flipping some valves. I wouldn't expect any business to reveal the profit margin.

John, tell the wife they are gifts for her. lol. She let you build a fish house.....

rdiscus
11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
John has fish house

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/th_fishhouse.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/fishhouse.mp4)

John_Nicholson
11-24-2013, 05:53 PM
My wife has done this fish thing a lot of years and has no desire to do anymore....

Ryan thats for posting the link. It is a video. Also the housr is not that narrow and tall....pictures looks compressed...LOL.

-john

White Worm
11-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Can't blame me for trying.... My wife has done this with me for years and has no desire either. We haven't kept discus no where near as long as you so I get it. I'm still working on moving the garage idea into the office that we never use.

CliffsDiscus
11-25-2013, 05:10 PM
There were couple of Discus distributiors in Texas that I had contacts with they were Danny Ng and Jack Graves. Danny mostly had Wayne Ng's Discus and
Jack Graves fish were mostly from Germany. I not sure what happen to them but Danny had problems with shipping as most of the Discus were imported to
L.A. and send to Texas.

Cliff

rdiscus
11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes I know Danny Ng when I was first into Discus, he had full tanks set up in his garage in Plano. Very nice discus ... it was like over 10 years ago, when I was in college, didn't have money for those fancy fish :) ... I called him few years later, but didn't hear from him

Don't know anything about Jack Graves, maybe I wasn't in U.S by that time :)

BODYDUB
11-25-2013, 05:52 PM
John has fish house

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/th_fishhouse.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/fishhouse.mp4)

Dang hogs are everywhere these days. I think John needs to give the Campbells a call................

Chicago Discus
11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
LOL…..Guys be careful what you wish for its much more than people can even imagine. Its like a full time job times two…….Good luck……Josie

MSD
11-25-2013, 08:40 PM
That house looks like the one from the movie, The Conjuring. LOL

John_Nicholson
11-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Danny was a great guy. I wish he was still into the fish.

-john