PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do? Custom 75G tank...

ericatdallas
11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
I just picked up a 65G aquarium with a metal stand ... along with other junk from a seller on Craigslist.

It was a good deal, but when I arrived, I found out it was a custom aquarium. It was also sold as a 75G, but doing the math it's actually 10G less.

It sits on a 55 stand --- so its 48x13x24, so it's pretty tall.

I like how tall it is, if it were a display tank. However, I plan to make it either a growout tank.

What do you think? Should I try to resell it and get a 55G or keep it as it is? I think from a growout perspective, it's less floor area to search for food.

Tazalanche
11-27-2013, 08:47 AM
If you're planning on using a sponge filter with it, I'd keep it & just have less water in it until the fry are larger.

Nick Klimkowski
11-27-2013, 10:11 AM
If you're planning on using a sponge filter with it, I'd keep it & just have less water in it until the fry are larger.

+1

-Nick

DiscusLoverJeff
11-27-2013, 12:10 PM
What you have is a custom 65 gal tank. You can buy a piece of poret foam and fill the tank and just use the foam as a divider. Start out with 1/3 of the tank for the juvies and as they grow, you move the foam another third until they are ready for the whole tank. This way you can actually use the whole tank by putting more fish on the other side.

Great tank.

OC Discus
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Will it be hard to reach over for daily wc and vac? That could be a pain

DiscusLoverJeff
11-27-2013, 12:39 PM
If the poret foam is cut to the tank, you won't get much on the other side. Yes you would have to change more water, but it is a great size growout tank.

ericatdallas
11-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I'll probably keep it. I hate the hassle of selling on Craigslist... I'm not a fan of tall tanks from a maintenance perspective, but it's manageable.

krislewis3
11-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Will it be hard to reach over for daily wc and vac? That could be a pain

My tank is the same size, and its no trouble to clean, or vac.

krislewis3
11-29-2013, 07:38 AM
I just picked up a 65G aquarium with a metal stand ... along with other junk from a seller on Craigslist.

It was a good deal, but when I arrived, I found out it was a custom aquarium. It was also sold as a 75G, but doing the math it's actually 10G less.

It sits on a 55 stand --- so its 48x13x24, so it's pretty tall.

I like how tall it is, if it were a display tank. However, I plan to make it either a growout tank.

What do you think? Should I try to resell it and get a 55G or keep it as it is? I think from a growout perspective, it's less floor area to search for food.

Are you sure that its custom? My tank, which I got from Petsmart, is 48 3/8" wide. 12 7/8 "deep, and 24 7/8" tall, and is advertized as 60 gallons. Im wondering if you have the same tank?
What size is you display tank, and how many adult discus are in it?

ericatdallas
11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Are you sure that its custom? My tank, which I got from Petsmart, is 48 3/8" wide. 12 7/8 "deep, and 24 7/8" tall, and is advertized as 60 gallons. Im wondering if you have the same tank?
What size is you display tank, and how many adult discus are in it?

I guess I'm not sure... that's what the guy who sold t to me said --- that his sister got it made by a local shop --- he mentioned the name of the place, but I forgot. Either way, doesn't really matter, those are the dimensions and that's how much water it holds...

My 90G is my psuedo-display tank. I say pseudo only because it's not really mine as it is what my wife wants for the kids. There are 9 discus.