PDA

View Full Version : Sell or ship discus if u were moving???

dkeef
11-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Well theres a real possibility that i may move from CA to TX within a year. many great opportunities are lurking in front of me and guess what? first thing i think of is what about my prized discus collections?

i got about 26 discus with dithers in my 320gal now. i may add 4-5 more after changing out gravel to sand.

how many of you would figure out a way to ship over somehow with everything ready...or would u sell it all and start over?

Also wanna know if anyone in SOCAL is an experienced shipper like Kenny???

nikond70s
11-27-2013, 02:52 AM
depends on how much u love ur fish. and are u going to ship ur tank aswell or get a new tank when you're there? its going to be a lot of hassles shipping out ur fish. u'll need someone to hold them for u till u get a tank setup and such. and then finding someone to ship ur fish. and will most likely cost a lot for that many fish. i personally would just sell everything and start new. the only downside. is that selling the fish can be difficult. and you're not likely to get them at the price u bought them. and when u have a hard time selling. u'll need to get them out asap before u leave and desperation will come and u'll end up selling them for cheap just to get rid of them. so be prepared to lose money.

dkeef
11-27-2013, 02:58 AM
im thinking of scenario where i find someone who can hold the fish when they r shipped. or i set up a new tank ready to go and have someone take care of my fish while im gone first(my family may stay longer for few months after i go first and ill be going back and forth in meanwhile for sometime).

i always wondered why is it so hard to sell discus locally when sponsors sell out so easily.

Tazalanche
11-27-2013, 08:30 AM
i always wondered why is it so hard to sell discus locally when sponsors sell out so easily.My guess would be because the buyer has a better understanding of the care the discus has experienced, due to the sponsor's reputation...

plus they ship. ;)

BODYDUB
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
What about having Kenny hold the fish for you and ship them when your ready???? Also what part of TX? If I had a big enough tank you could ship them to me and I could watch them for you till you arrived.............

OC Discus
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Moving tanks has a way of generating leaks. What about setting up new equipment in the new home. Moving the fish and selling the old equipment after the move? Fish can be moved relatively easy in 5 g buckets or tubs if you can keep the temp up. They can be fasted a day before and during the move to keep down waste, and large water change before transferring to moving container(s). A cigarette lighter inverter would allow you to plug in some heaters- An SUV with room for a large tub could work. I've moved my fish a number of times without losses. Keep tanks up and running until the last minute. Get new tanks up and running first thing at the new home.

New tanks could be set up days or weeks ahead of time. If cycling is a problem, I'm confident you could use Tetra Safe Start to instantly cycle the new tanks if you keep plenty on hand and watch for ammonia spikes daily. If ammonia starts to rise, just add another dose.

Skip
11-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Traveling in state is on thing.. out of state another.. sell fish.. keep equipment. .

I am not sure kenny would hold fish.. he goes thru a big time qt system.. and to bring in outside fish into his fishhouse could be risky.. so if he were to say no.. u would know why

dkeef
11-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Kenny is in no cal. 6 hrs away from me. Im sure he wont and i totally get it.
Plan is to set up new set up first then ship it overnight. Its still year from now.

BODYDUB
11-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Also what part of TX?

dkeef
11-29-2013, 05:45 PM
oh its not decided yet, company is looking into it.
but im hoping dallas. maybe frisco... then again it could be houston who knows.
this is at least 6months to 1 yr from now.

BODYDUB
11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Wow, that's all over the place. GL either way...............

ericatdallas
11-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Sell. I learned that the hard way. Save yourself the stress and your fish the stress.

Nick Klimkowski
12-01-2013, 12:03 AM
I would sell them as well I know how easy it is to get attached to them, but you have to look at what is best for the fish. There will always be more discus out there to replace them.

-Nick

dkeef
12-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Yea. I think selling would be easier.
Ill give good few months time to sell when it happens.

OC Discus
12-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Starting over does give you a chance to improve on what you had before and avoid some mistakes.