PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Discus with swollen belly

indica09
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

My oldest and biggest discus male began about 6 months ago to get an enlarged belly. I attempted to use epsom salt, no luck I switched to believing he may have an internal bacterial infection I started using a product a local discus hobbiest uses. No luck. about 3 months ago he and his mate bread and now I have 3 month old babies. JUST 1 week ago 3 maybe even 4 of the babies are now starting to develop the same swollen belly look just like the daddy fish. NONE of my other 5 adult discus have the issue. I can see he isnt eating like he used to anymore. I dont see a lot of excrement coming out of him. I still see some coming out of the babies that have the issue. They appear to be still eating but I fear not for long. I REALLY need some help here identifying this and hopefully helping my discus. If anyone can please help.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Only enlarged belly. Everything else seems normal

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Itried epson salt, and bacter cure

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
150 gallong 6 discus range from about 3-6 years old

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
change water every 2-3 days about 80 gallons

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
its been up for 5 years. I have a very thin layer of sand with some driftwood

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
I use half and half ro and tap and sometimes I age to get the chlorine out. THe ph does not swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82

- ph _____ 6.5

- ammonia reading __very low__

- nitrite reading ____very low

- nitrate reading ____very low

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __25%__

- RO water ____75%

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
Nothing new

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

indica09
11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
My oldest and biggest discus male began about 6 months ago to get an enlarged belly. I attempted to use epsom salt, no luck I switched to believing he may have an internal bacterial infection I started using a product a local discus hobbiest uses. No luck. about 3 months ago he and his mate bread and now I have 3 month old babies. JUST 1 week ago 3 maybe even 4 of the babies are now starting to develop the same swollen belly look just like the daddy fish. NONE of my other 5 adult discus have the issue. I can see he isnt eating like he used to anymore. I dont see a lot of excrement coming out of him. I still see some coming out of the babies that have the issue. They appear to be still eating but I fear not for long. I REALLY need some help here identifying this and hopefully helping my discus. If anyone can please help.

http://i.imgur.com/8AYyCj3.jpg

Discusdude7
11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
How low is "very low"?

indica09
11-27-2013, 01:56 PM
How low is "very low"?

Nitrate is in the yellow 10-20

Nitrite is 0

Discusdude7
11-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Nitrate is in the yellow 10-20

Nitrite is 0

Is there any nitrates in your tap?
20 ppm isn't "very low"

indica09
11-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Is there any nitrates in your tap?
20 ppm isn't "very low"

No there isnt any in the tap.The nitrate is closer to 10. I just gave the range. I had him in a Q tank for a while and both were zero while I was treating him. This was for 3 months.

I have had the tank going for about 6 years now. I am confident in my water quality. Can I ask where you are going with this?

rdiscus
11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
On this stage, I will say no way you can save that discus. If anyone can, I want to know too ...

nc0gnet0
11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I posted to your earlier thread with this same fish and the problem. You stated that he had normal poo, was eating and had already tried epsoms and some unknown med (to me). My best guess is this is a tumor, and not much you can do about it except make the fish comfortable and humanely euthanize him when his quality of life starts to suffer. As for the babies, that is most likely an entirely different matter. There is a one in one million shot kanamycin might help this fish, but most likely you will just be throwing money down the drain.

Rick

SMB2
11-27-2013, 03:51 PM
If this fish does die I would certainly do a necropsy.