PDA

View Full Version : Outside air pump?

tolga
11-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi, I was thinking of getting an air pump designed for pond use and placing it outside in the garden. This would push the outside air into my sump to fluidise my K1 media. Would it cause any significant change in the water temperature? As it would be blowing cold air in winter time. Could this be managed somehow or would it cause my heaters to work extra hard and increase electricity bills? I would be interested to know if anyone had any experience with this type of setup. Also what size of air pump would be ideal to fluidise approximately 50 litres of k1 inside my sump? My 450litres per hour pump wasn't powerful enough. Thanks
Tolga

tolga
12-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I'd be grateful if someone could chip in.

Heyguy74
01-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Yes,

The air temp will affect water temp. In the winter it will cool the water and in the summer heat the water. I would leave it in the house. Also you have to worry about it getting wet outside. You can build a small "house" for it, but the humidity would ruin it anyway. Also what happens if someone or something comes by and messes with it. Not worth it in my opinion.
Check out linear piston pumps. There are many sizes. Most should give you more than what you need. Also they are very quite.

tolga
01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your explanation. The pump I have is supposed to be whether proof. But I don't think I can take that for granted. The temperature issue was the main one for me and I can allow the tank to go cold in the winter so I suppose the pump will have to stay indoors. Thanks again.

DonMD
01-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I keep an air pump in the garage and pump through a brick wall into an aquarium in my dining room. Right now, the temperature in the garage is about 32 degrees F. I've been doing this for about 8 years, never had a problem.

tolga
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for sharing that experience. I might try having it outside for a bit just to find out.

DonMD
01-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks for sharing that experience. I might try having it outside for a bit just to find out.

Doesn't hurt to try. It may pump in cooler air, so just monitor temps to see if your heater is handling it. I find that the quiet of not having the pump in the same room offsets any other inconvenience.