PDA

View Full Version : aging water in tanks

mshen11
11-30-2013, 10:35 PM
up until recently my 50%+ water change has been ok. but with winter setting in, i am starting to see microbubbles - which means i need to start aging water. i have a standard 75 and 55g and was wondering if i can stack the 55g on top of the 75 and have both be filled with water? the length of the two tanks are identical (4ft). the 55g is about 2/3 the width of the 75g. if both are filled... is this a disaster waiting to happen for the 55g?

also currently only the 75g is full. i keep it at room temperature with no aeration and notice bubbles accumulating all over the bottom of the tank, even after 24hrs. is aeration required to remove microbubbles - if so, is it just enough so i dont see air bubbles on the tank bottom? is heat required?

ive read here that filter socks wont work very well to remove microbubbles - can anyone make additional comments on this?

OC Discus
11-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Is one of the two tanks your aging tank? I don't understand the relationship between stacking them and aging the water.

Also, are you asking if the 75g can hold up the weight of the 55g filled with water? Im not sure, but don't think it would be advisable.

With good flow and filtration, I may be wrong but micro bubbles shouldn't be a problem. They actually help release gas at the surface of the water. I think they help oxygenate your tank.

Do you have fish in your 75 g? What kind?

As far as a disaster waiting to happen, the weight of the 55 on top of the 75 could damage the seal and break the glass causing them both to collapse to the ground.

What kind of fish do you have in both tanks?

mshen11
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM
one 75 tank is not enough storage. i want to use both as storage - a 55g barrel would be too tall. the 75g+55g stacked is a perfect footprint. i am basically asking if i can stack the 55g on top of the 75g and have BOTH be filled with water.

both tanks are empty - no fish. just want to use it as water storage

OC Discus
11-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I think you would need some type of framework to support the weight of each tank separately. Im not an engineer, but I wouldn't stack a 55g tank full of water on top of a 75g tank without separate supports. The footprint would work, but a custom stand needs to be built. It could be very simple and inexpensive- out of 2x4's.

Nick Klimkowski
12-01-2013, 12:01 AM
I think you would need some type of framework to support the weight of each tank separately. Im not an engineer, but I wouldn't stack a 55g tank full of water on top of a 75g tank without separate supports. The footprint would work, but a custom stand needs to be built. It could be very simple and inexpensive- out of 2x4's.

You would need to build a stand to support the weight of the 55 you really can not stack them on top of one on their with our risk of cracking the tanks. Also I would recommend that you aerat the water for at lest 24 hours before use, heating the water would help not put as much stress on your fish when you do a water change. Hope that helps.

-Nick

MSD
12-05-2013, 09:57 PM
A 55 gal. tank weighs about 467 pounds, wanna stack that on another tank?? Good luck

ct3737
01-16-2014, 10:51 PM
This would not be safe at all. Don't even try it, could ruin your house and hurt you severely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

israelillo81
01-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk