PDA

View Full Version : Discus layed eggs! Plz advise!!

farzadkavari
12-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I did a massive water changed today and noticed 2 discus layed eggs on the filter pipe! The tank has 8 large discus and a pleco! Right now threy are guariding the eggs! What should i do? Temp around 85. Perfect water.

Nick Klimkowski
12-01-2013, 11:14 PM
since this is there frist spawn the eggs will mostly not hatch and because there are other discus in the tank the fry would be eaten if they did hatch. however you have a good pair from the sounds of it so what i would recomend is to place them in there own tank with no other fish and try to breed them in that. hope that helps some.

-Nick

farzadkavari
12-01-2013, 11:18 PM
What would i have to do to increase their chance of hatching? Temp?

Nick Klimkowski
12-01-2013, 11:21 PM
What would i have to do to increase their chance of hatching? Temp?

Your temp is fine at 85 but the best thing to do is to use ro water, i would guess they are still a young pair so they still need some time to mature.

-Nick

farzadkavari
12-01-2013, 11:30 PM
No RO water available as of now. I guess ill cross fingers and see what happens

wild4discus
12-02-2013, 12:18 AM
I would just observe them over the next few days. Chances are if they are first time parents the eggs or wigglers if they manage to hatch may be eaten by the parents or other discus in he tank. THis is normal for first timers. Let them have a few trial runs and then you could place the pair in their own tank if you want to breed them. If not, leave them in the tank they are already in. If you choose to leave them in and some fry manage to survive, remove the fry after 10-14 days and place them in a separate tank to grow them out. Research the threads about raising fry, there is a ton of great info on this subject. Good luck.

farzadkavari
12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I woke up this morning and i think all the eggs have been eaten... Oh well

wild4discus
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
It happens often.