PDA

View Full Version : New Discus pair not eating day 4!!

Argentum
12-02-2013, 02:16 AM
Hello everyone!

I need advice here as my new pair of discus has not been eating since I bought them 4 days ago, except one of them who ate 2 or 3 small worms!
I bought them sick “at least the male” which shows dark tint that didn’t fade after 24 hours in the aquarium. I suspected parasite infection and started using Metronidazole 500mg/10gal and raised temp to 90F. After 24 hours they showed some ore activity and the dark tint slightly fading.

After 48 Hours I put them in PP bath for 30 min followed by 30min+ Salt dip in 3+ TS/gal solution, they did not roll over (I did this because they were showing slight signs of fin rot and I wanted to kill any bacteria that would make their case worse). I returned them to the aquarium after vacuuming it and making 75% WC and re dosed Metronidazole 500mg/10 gal.

I use tablets from the pharmacy for human use as a source of Metro.

However still until now they don’t show any interest in any type of food i.e: FD brine shrimp, Quality Flake food, frozen live Blood worms or black worms (I am not sure), cichlid pellets, FD shrimps, FD blood worms.

Please advise me on this case what should I do to get them to eat?

trungnguyen
12-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Please fill out the question form.
You should not let them go through so many treatments at the same time. They cannot handle that. Just keep up with big WC everyday.

Argentum
12-02-2013, 03:34 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Problem explained in OP

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Turn Dark, not eating, sometimes shivering like motion “rarely”, very slight fin rot

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

As mentioned in OP

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

32Gal tank 90 cm high, 2 discus 3 -4’, 2 small pleco 1 corie

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
33 % Daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

2 months, black smooth gravel substrate.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I don’t age water
8. Parameters and water source;

Conditioned tap water
Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _90F____

- ph __6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100% tap water__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

the discus is new, before adding it I removed all other fish except a 1’ angle fish

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I will upload later

Madaboutdiscus
12-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Id say youre going to have to give them time to adjust since they are new to the tank. However lower your tank temp. Why do you have it at 90? Were you treating something? Adult discus dont need the higher temps that juvies do.

-Victoria

Madaboutdiscus
12-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Please fill out the question form.
You should not let them go through so many treatments at the same time. They cannot handle that. Just keep up with big WC everyday.

+1

-Victoria

Argentum
12-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Id say youre going to have to give them time to adjust since they are new to the tank. However lower your tank temp. Why do you have it at 90? Were you treating something? Adult discus dont need the higher temps that juvies do.

-Victoria

Yes, I am treating them with metronidazole

Argentum
12-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Here is a pic, here they have improved significantly (this is day 3 of treatment)
The male "left" still vibrate between slight dark and as in the pic. before the treatment he was almost black!

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p634/argentumblade/20131202_221711_4_zps012b711e.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/argentumblade/media/20131202_221711_4_zps012b711e.jpg.html)