PDA

View Full Version : Tap water test - analyzing the results

Mulletpullet
12-03-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm in the process of starting up a 125 gallon. I'm testing my tap water just to get an idea of what I am starting with coming out of the tap.

The PH is fine at 7 which sounds very typical from reading up on here. Nitrites/Nitrates were 0.

My General Hardness was 150 ppm (mg/L)
My Carbonate Hardness was 40 ppm (mg/L)

I'm not planning on breeding, but I would like to have healthy happy discus. Thoughts on the Hardness? I tried to read up on target hardness, but it seemed like some people were using different terms, such as grains. And some of the links about it were dead links.

Any information is appreciated.

Mulletpullet
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I apologize to the moderators. I meant to post this in the water quality section, not the laboratory. If you could move this post I would appreciate it.

Second Hand Pat
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I moved your thread to the water works sub forum.
Pat

vikki
12-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Do test kits expire? I can't seem to find an expiry date on mine?

SMB2
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Did you also test the tap water after 24 hours with aeration?
May not change the hardness but you may see a swing down in Ph which will help you decide about aging for WCs.
Looks like fairly average hardness numbers and trying to chase a value by manipulating the water is probably more detrimental to the fish then just keeping things constant with the water you have available and doing what everybody here preaches: WC, WC, WC.

Mulletpullet
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Stan, I rechecked the tap for consistency and it seems to be coming out very consistent. right at 7.0 for the Ph. I just filled the aquarium last night, and tested it a third time to see if the substrate and rocks I had put in changed anything, and they did not. (the Ph may have gone up a fraction, but it wasn't the 7.5 color for sure. I'm going to recheck tonight, which will be my first 24 hour recheck on the same water.

I did talk to my local breeder about the hardness. He said for growing out the discus that hardness would be fine. He said if I was breeding that it may be an issue. Something to do with the eggs. I am a ways out from attempting to breed any, so I'm not concerned with that at the moment.

I considered peat to get closer to 6.0 on the Ph. But it seems unnecessary?

Skip
12-05-2013, 10:08 AM
all water is fine.. its the water changes that keep the fish healthy..

Elliots
12-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Do not bother with peat. Constant pH is more important than the actual number.

SMB2
12-05-2013, 10:56 PM
+1 with Elliots. "Don't chase the Ph."
Frequency and consistency.
Make sure the water in the tank has been well agitated before taking a second reading. (I have a typo above, usually the Ph will rise as CO2 is off gassed.) This is important in terms of aging your water before WCs. You have a fairly big tank so you have to plan how you are going to age 60+ gallons and heat it prior to each WC. The smoother you make that process the more likely you are to keep up with the WCs.

Mulletpullet
12-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank that I am considering putting into the stand, and having a pump head go up to the tank. Fill the small tank, let it age, pump up, maybe even put an overflow into a tube into a drain. That would make a change easy, but that would only be good for 40-45 gallon changes (assuming the pump cannot completely drain it bare bottom) unless I mixed in a tad of unaged. Probably be okay with only 15-20 gallons unaged in a 125? Or perhaps just up the amount of water changes i do (oh joy)

It is odd going to Stendkar's website that they don't worry about aging the water at all. Not to mention they don't say to do the frequent water changes so many people boast about. Is this overkill?

Skip
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
It is odd going to Stendkar's website that they don't worry about aging the water at all. Not to mention they don't say to do the frequent water changes so many people boast about. Is this overkill?

they are professionals doing this for decades with an amazing fish farm..

we are not.. stick with what is successful for the hobbyist.. besides.. they are not going to give out all their secrets to competition..

ericatdallas
12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
From reading their press release or whatever it was.. it sounds like they have a mini-water treatment plant. I don't think anyone ever said it was impossible to filter the water enough, just that it was more practical for the hobbyist to change the water and leave the water treatment to the city.

With that said, I think a lot of people here don't age their water. I don't either. It might be location dependent.

Elliots
12-06-2013, 03:31 PM
OK to use tap water. Check the pH of your tank and your tap water EVERY TIME you do a change. The closer the two readings are the more you can change. "Winter Water" appears to cause problems particularly if you do not check the two pHs Of course, try to match the temperature. Use something to remove chlorine and other things when you use tap water.