PDA

View Full Version : San Merah X Snow Leopard

ryan walker
12-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums

I have had some success with breeding red coats in the past so I have a bit of an idea on the whole process but I have had no experience in mixed breeding so I really have no idea what to expect from this pair I have had recently form.

One is a San merah and the other is a snow leopard so the 2 couldn't be any more different if they tried. If I'm to get fry from these 2 what would I expect to see?

Rod
12-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums

I have had some success with breeding red coats in the past so I have a bit of an idea on the whole process but I have had no experience in mixed breeding so I really have no idea what to expect from this pair I have had recently form.

One is a San merah and the other is a snow leopard so the 2 couldn't be any more different if they tried. If I'm to get fry from these 2 what would I expect to see?

Hi Ryan, welcome to simply discus forums.

About half will be red/whites, probably with a fair amount of variation in the way the red is displayed. The white color (dominant gene) probably won't be the clean and clear white color of a snow leopard (which is really a selected and highly bred version of a white leopard) , rather they will probably display a certain amount of "pepper".

Without a photo i cannot be sure for your discus, but many snow leopards are also snakeskins (dominant gene), therefore it is possible you will get snakeskins from the pair.

The other half will be brown based. San merah are patternless (no blue markings which is controlled by a dominant gene) and will influence the pattern. Depending on the way your sans carries this gene, the progeny may be 100% patternless, or you may get wild form brownish types with some possibly having red spots. My own experience with this gene using heterozygous fish is a 50/50 result, but i have seen other breeders get different percentages.

Good luck

Rod

ryan walker
12-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm looking forward to the possibilities! May get some vary different looking fish

nc0gnet0
12-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Ryan, welcome to simply discus forums.

About half will be red/whites, probably with a fair amount of variation in the way the red is displayed. The white color (dominant gene) probably won't be the clean and clear white color of a snow leopard (which is really a selected and highly bred version of a white leopard) , rather they will probably display a certain amount of "pepper".

Without a photo i cannot be sure for your discus, but many snow leopards are also snakeskins (dominant gene), therefore it is possible you will get snakeskins from the pair.

The other half will be brown based. San merah are patternless (no blue markings which is controlled by a dominant gene) and will influence the pattern. Depending on the way your sans carries this gene, the progeny may be 100% patternless, or you may get wild form brownish types with some possibly having red spots. My own experience with this gene using heterozygous fish is a 50/50 result, but i have seen other breeders get different percentages.

Good luck

Rod

Recently I have picked up quite a few of this type of fish and have been working with them. When I say this type, many breeders call them different names, Snow spotted leopards in the case of Jeffrey Yang, Snow leopards or white eruptions in the case of dex or Wayne NG, and white eruption leopards in the case of Tony Tan.

I think Rod's guestimate of what to expect is pretty close. but I am not sure if you will see any red/whites. Amazingly enough, I cannot confirm as of yet with the fish I have bred to date, that the snow leopard posses's a PB gene. It is my understanding that in order for the fish to be a red white it must be both heterozygous for the SW gene as well as the PB gene.

I can give you a quick run down on some of the results i have seen so far, but I have not done a cross like the one in which your talking about as of yet. My guess is you will get at least 50% brown based fish with varying degress of red. I know I get some browns when I breed two Snow leopards together (no cross).

FWIW. I have crossed a Wayne NG white spotted (this fish is slightly different than the typical snow lepard) with a red white I created (the red/white is an F1 resultant between a snow white and san marah cross). Now, from this cross I am seeing slightly higher than 25% (but not 50%) Red/whites.

I crossed the another White spotted (wayne NG) with a golden female and I am almost positive I am getting 50% golden fry (well now for sure as they mature). Now it is quite possible that the Wayne NG white spotted is quite a bit different genetically, but they look quite simular phenotypically.