PDA

View Full Version : How long should I isolate cardinal tetras?

LisaT
12-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I bought 10 cardinal tetras today to add to my discus tank. At the store they told me to isolate them for 5 days. Just wondering if that is long enough. I bought something called LifeGuard...it's supposed to be a broad spectrum, non-antibiotic treatment for just about everything including flukes. Any thoughts?

Also, I bought them because I'd read that they are good tank mates for discus. Of course, I chose to do a little more research after I bought them. It seems they require a much lower Ph than I have. Does anyone successfully have them in a tank with a Ph greater than 7?

dkeef
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM
most do 2-4 weeks or more...

LisaT
12-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Ok...I can see 2 weeks but 4 seems like a lot...what could possibly show up after such a long period of time?

DonMD
12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok...I can see 2 weeks but 4 seems like a lot...what could possibly show up after such a long period of time?

I would never introduce any fish into my discus tank before at least a 3 month quarantine period. You may think that's a long time, but if you've had to euthanize your entire stock due to disease, you might feel the same way.

tonytheboss1
12-06-2013, 10:23 PM
All my tetras were introduced after 21days of isolated quarantine. Not saying that longer isn't better but this period worked for me. Point is don't be in a rush to subject your prize fish to outsiders. "T"

Nick Klimkowski
12-06-2013, 10:38 PM
3-4 weeks would be plenty.

LisaT
12-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Thank you all for the advice. Truly, I am not in a rush. If it takes 3 months, then so be it. However, as a nurse (granted, I work with humans, not fish) I can not fathom anything that would have such a long incubation period that would require months of isolation. I would have thought that every bacteria, virus, parasite, etc would make itself know within a few weeks at most. I guess I have a lot to learn. So, can anyone tell me what fish diseases show up after such a long period of time? Always interested in learning. Thanks again!

OC Discus
12-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Hey Lisa. I bought a dozen cardinals today myself, and eight blue rams. I plan to keep them in qt tank for two to three weeks, then add my least favorite discus to the tank with them for another 3-4 weeks or more and watch for/treat any problems. I'm relatively new to sd myself, but this is the general advice that I've seen.

Many of the diseases and parasites that make the fish sick are already present in their bodies/water. It is usually the stress of transporting, different water parameters, different food, different schedule, different surroundings, and fear of/bullying by new tank mates that makes them sick. Bacterial infections spread due to some type of trauma to the skin and parasites and other diseases flourish due to weakening of the immune system.

The typical quarantine period that I've seen posted on sd is 4-6 weeks: 2-3 weeks observing the new fish then 2-3 weeks observing one discus added to the qt tank. This will reveal if the discus lack immunity to some illness carried by the other fish, or if the others lack immunity to a disease carried by the discus. If disease breaks out in one weak fish, it can spread and infect the whole tank.

You can use the search thread on "quarantine" and find a great deal of information. Discus are so delicate, its probably better to err on the side of caution.

So you got 13 discus? Have you posted any pictures? I'd like to see them. What strains did you get.

LisaT
12-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Don, just curious what caused you to have to euthanize your entire stock? How long had you waited to introduce the new fish when that happened?

OC, I'm not sure where I gave you the impression that I got 13 discus, I wish!!! No, I only have 5...I realize this is not optimal, but they were the only 5 I liked (yes, I got them from a local place). I do plan to add 2-3 more shortly. Because I have so few, I definitely don't have a least favorite. I'm treating my tetras with the stuff I bought and will wait at least 4 weeks. It still seems nearly impossible to me that any sort of pathogen could sit idle for that long (with the exception of something viral...but they never go away, so using that logic it would never be safe to add them). Still, I asked for advice and all of you certainly know more about discus than I do. So, minimum of 4 weeks it is.

tonytheboss1
12-07-2013, 12:05 PM
:bandana: LisaT,know that most advice given are more guidelines than 'do it or else' rules. Most situations vary due to an assortment of circumstances. Modify & adjust to your unique setup & you should be fine. I myself am guilty of overkill w/ some things; filtration, diet etc. (OCD & Old Age) lol lol Find that niche that suits & do you!! "T"

DonMD
12-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Don, just curious what caused you to have to euthanize your entire stock? How long had you waited to introduce the new fish when that happened?

I started a thread on my experience, here it is: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93673-My-beautiful-Crypto-Babies&highlight=cryptobia

I'm not sure exactly how my system got infected, but that was the second time I lost all my fish. Never again. That's why I QT for 3 months, and am completely paranoid about introducing anything in my tanks.

OC Discus
12-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Lisa, sorry about the 13 mistake. Must have just read it in another thread.

I guess the four-six week rule allows to observe new fish and treat for problems like ick, fungus and bacteria. Then time to observe the old fish and new fish together and be alerted to potential problems before a whole tank is infected.

OC Discus
12-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Don, the fish looks so good. What were the symptoms that they were sick? And how did it play out before you lost them all?

I started a thread on my experience, here it is: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93673-My-beautiful-Crypto-Babies&highlight=cryptobia

I'm not sure exactly how my system got infected, but that was the second time I lost all my fish. Never again. That's why I QT for 3 months, and am completely paranoid about introducing anything in my tanks.

sharkbite
12-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Always QT. I learned the hard way. Had a mating pair and introduced a pleco. My blushing red got hexamita and the whole tank internal parasites. For what I have spent treating a 180g I could have 3 more prize fish. And my pretty girl would be a mommy.

dirtyplants
12-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Cardinals are wild, they will carry parasites. Ich, worms, and flukes being some of the most common with cardinals. I QT for three months, new cardinals may start dying on you for no apparent reasons. I wait for the die off from LFS by watching the shipment when it first comes in and then waiting 2 weeks before purchase. Then I QT for 3 months. Why because they are wild and are documented to carry flukes. Cat fish/bottom feeders will inherit parasites if they don't already have them by the nature of their feeding. They get QT also for 3 months. I bought cardinals a month ago they broke out with a fungus and then after that cleared they had some ich issues. I would never chance wilds with out a long QT period. My QT tank for them is a 36 gallon Amano styled tank so I can enjoy the fish while being QTed.

DonMD
12-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Don, the fish looks so good. What were the symptoms that they were sick? And how did it play out before you lost them all?

I kept losing 1-3 fish per week, I knew something was wrong. The aquatic vet did a full workup, and consulted with some university in Florida. When the diagnosis was confirmed, I pulled the plug.

OC Discus
12-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Sad :(

dirtyplants
12-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Did I miss the diagnosis?