PDA

View Full Version : Not the Xmas present I was expecting

dirtyplants
12-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Last week I noticed a territory shift in my community tank. Today I discovered eggs on my anubias leaves.
They are all brown, at first I thought it was from my pegion and Brilliant but the male has never in the past fertilized their eggs. Low and behold I noticed my young Kenny BD dk and ringed leopard have paired and they are the parents. Well I am not set up for breeding, but I did not want the fish in the tank to eat the eggs, so I placed my net over the plant which is anchored to some wood, so the net acts like a dome. The two parents hover over the net carefully watching their eggs. What do I do if they hatch? It might be time to start up a breeding tank. I am not using RO so if they hatch I will want to raise them if possible.

nc0gnet0
12-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Your chances of a succsfull batch of fry are very slim in a community tank. You might however be able to confirm the pair.

dirtyplants
12-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey Rick, thanks, you are absolutely right, but still it was a complete surprise. I should know soon correct? I know nothing about breeding and claim the fame of ignorance on the subject. I figure they should hatch in a few days, if they hatch, my ppms are high and do not use RO, as of yet any way.

Your chances of a succsfull batch of fry are very slim in a community tank. You might however be able to confirm the pair.

nc0gnet0
12-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Well, if your TDS is high there is a good chance they won't hatch, all depends on your water though. You don't need RO for the fry once they hatch, you need it (in most cases) to get the eggs to hatch. If you have to much calcium in your water, many times the eggs will calcify (go white) and the embryo will suffocate.

dirtyplants
12-09-2013, 12:29 AM
So far still brown, guess it is just a waiting game.

Keith Perkins
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Coree - if you're on Lake Michigan water like I think you are the TDS may very well be low enough for the eggs to be viable. If you have a good eye you may see wrigglers 48 hours of so from when they were laid.

dirtyplants
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
That would be exciting and of course on Lake Michigan water. I am not ready for this, so I have no breeding supplies I just ordered some cones. So down the road will be asking a lot of questions. The net is still over them and the parents keep a vigil watch. I don't expect them to survive if they hatch, but I will place the pair in a breeding tank in the future, when I get needed equipment. Thanks Cozy!

dirtyplants
12-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Yesterday there were a few white eggs, but the rest looked like they developed a dark spot and elongated shape to them. This morning there were no eggs, the net was still doomed so no fish could get to the eggs, so what happened to them? The parents are also gone.

nc0gnet0
12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
There was a breach in security.

dirtyplants
12-10-2013, 07:23 PM
LOL

There was a breach in security.
You sure got that one right!

Allwin
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Have plecos?

Yesterday there were a few white eggs, but the rest looked like they developed a dark spot and elongated shape to them. This morning there were no eggs, the net was still doomed so no fish could get to the eggs, so what happened to them? The parents are also gone.

dirtyplants
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes but the net was secure doom intact, meaning no pressure from the out side, the way the plant was on the wood the net could not be moved. I would think the net would show some sort of disturbance if the pleco were trying to get to them. I was not equipped for babies anyway. I was hoping to see if fry would develop from my water source though.

Keith Perkins
12-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I'd be looking for a small fish with a bulging tummy. Kind of sounds like you might have a pair though.

Trier20
12-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Sounds like you need a breeding tank and some grow out tanks ;)

dirtyplants
12-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Ha you guys are so right, I am going to have to set up for a breeding pair. Grow out, well I never would have guessed that tanks would also start multiplying. :) I real hope to do this after the holidays.

Keith Perkins
12-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I never would have guessed that tanks would also start multiplying. :)

Typical rookie mistake.

Second Hand Pat
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Typical rookie mistake.

Agreed....hard part is putting a cap on it. :o