PDA

View Full Version : Water changing and loosing beneficial bacteria

lx2077
12-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey guys I am confused about water changes all you experts recommend a 50% water change a day or at the very least every other day which I have been doing however how do you keep from loosing all your beneficial bacteria that's a hell of a lot of WC will my bb stay ok? Thanks and I am so in love with my discus my wife wanted a little nookie last night and I turned her down due to the fact my discus come first....lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Skip
12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey guys I am confused about water changes all you experts recommend a 50% water change a day or at the very least every other day which I have been doing however how do you keep from loosing all your beneficial bacteria that's a hell of a lot of WC will my bb stay ok?

cuz MORE live in your biofilter, then just free floating in water.. hence the sponges, biomedia etc..

Hey guys I am confused about water changes all you experts recommend a 50% water change a day or at the very least every other day which I have been doing however how do you keep from loosing all your beneficial bacteria that's a hell of a lot of WC will my bb stay ok? Thanks and I am so in love with my discus my wife wanted a little nookie last night and I turned her down due to the fact my discus come first....lol

yea.. thats a good way to LOSE your discus.. if mama ain't happy.. nobody happy..

timmy82
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Bio filtration that is well cycled and ensure the water is declorinated. It is the only way to grow and keep discus is water water water plus good food. If they not looking right or you think their is a problem change the water normally helps a lot.

Elliots
12-11-2013, 10:20 PM
One way to save BB is to add de-chlorinator before you add your change water and if you are really worried about your BB turn off your filter when changing water but do not forget to restart your filter. Almost no one on SD has problems with BB and water changes. I have a very large number of fish in my tank besides Discus so I would be more likely to see bad effects from destruction of BB but I have not had a problem. I change 20-60% at a time depending on the pH difference between my tap water and my tank water. When I change a lower % I change more often.

BODYDUB
12-13-2013, 11:41 AM
If you're using a aging barrel just add your dechlorinator right before you about to pump the water in. If you're adding it directly to the tank, just add it to the tank before you fill to condition the water. Then turn your pumps back on after the water level is full. In the past I've done almost a 100% w/c and have never lost my BB........

Eti
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I had the same question a couple of month ago. I used to wc 80% on my 75G and my fishs were doing horrible bc I was killing my BB (not using a dechlorinator and huge PH swings)
Just make sure you age your water for 24hours to avoid a PH swing, add a dechlorinator (like Prime) in the tank before changing the water , get the water at the same temp and you will be good to go. My fishs are doing great on my 75G now and I change 50% of the water every two days