PDA

View Full Version : ****How do I bring PH down without chemicals?****

simsavfc
12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I want to change the look of my Discus tank, I'm going to add lovely Red-moor wood and at the other end have real plants in preference to the plastic ones I have currently... I'm told real plants can help eat ammonia and nitrates and also produce oxygen....

HOWEVER I have a few basic questions which I am hoping you guys could help answer:

1) How do I lower PH Naturally without using chemicals (I currently use PH down 6.5 but It says not to use with Live Plants) Tap water in my area is 7.6 which I think is slightly high for discus

2) How do I introduce slight Co2 into water to help plants grow are de-fusers good?

3) Do I treat or boil the Red-moor wood before I put it into the Tank?

Any help would be much Appreciated guys Thanks

Skip
12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
why are you trying to lower ph..

consistent ph is what is needed and that comes from lots of clean water

simsavfc
12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I do two water changes a week and was told that Discus like PH of around 6.5... however in my area the PH is constantly 7.6 isn't this too high for Discus?

chaoslite
12-12-2013, 03:18 PM
You do not need to lower your ph. My discus are in tap water of 7.6-7.8. I would however increase your water changes.

Mishka

Skip
12-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Jus as mishka said..

Tap water ph is fine.. don't complicate the process

Rudustin
12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
+1

Michigan Discus
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
+1

nikond70s
12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi,

I want to change the look of my Discus tank, I'm going to add lovely Red-moor wood and at the other end have real plants in preference to the plastic ones I have currently... I'm told real plants can help eat ammonia and nitrates and also produce oxygen....

HOWEVER I have a few basic questions which I am hoping you guys could help answer:

1) How do I lower PH Naturally without using chemicals (I currently use PH down 6.5 but It says not to use with Live Plants) Tap water in my area is 7.6 which I think is slightly high for discus

2) How do I introduce slight Co2 into water to help plants grow are de-fusers good?

3) Do I treat or boil the Red-moor wood before I put it into the Tank?

Any help would be much Appreciated guys Thanks

to answer your questions:

1. driftwoods,dead dried up leaves indian almond leaves are the most popular. peat moss RO water

2. co2 system, flourish excel by seachem, adding dry/fertz also gives plants nutrients for them to grow better

3. always a good idea to boil the wood to kill off any parasites it may have.

wild4discus
12-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Do you age your water or do you do WCs with water straight from tap?

mattyb
12-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I have co2 injection with a ph controller, my tap water is 7.8, discus lived good in it until I decided to build new tank, keep in mind it is confusing at first and expensive for co2 injection, it puts my ph to 7.

Oscarsx
12-12-2013, 09:10 PM
I've heard crush coral works.

Larry Bugg
12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I've heard crush coral works.

Crushed coral raises PH, it doesn't lower it.

SMB2
12-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Don't chase the Ph. Aged tap water is just fine.
Decide if you want a planted tank with Discus OR a Discus tank with some plants.
If the former, set up the tank w/ plants and CO2 system and learn how to run the system. After 4-6 months of settling in add ADULT Discus. (You could have a grow out tank while the show tank is getting set up.)
If the latter you probably do not need CO2. Ferts will do fine. Pick plants that are easy to grow and take warm temps.

BODYDUB
12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Crushed coral raises PH, it doesn't lower it.

Yup, a stable pH is a good PH...........

ktltn04
12-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Your fish are more happier with constant Ph

simsavfc
12-14-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm definatley going to stop using Chemicals because they do not mix with Live plants... I am adding Live plants to an already established tank. I have ordered a co2 defuser to help plant growth and understand that in return this can help improve water conditions for the fish...I usually do 2 water changes per week with tap water but I think I will start to pre prepare tap water with bags of peat moss..
Which fertiliser is best to buy? and in what form? I will boil the Redmoor wood before I use it i think just to be sure.
Also any personal recommendations for nice plants which look natural in Discus tanks?

Thanks guys great responses Great help