PDA

View Full Version : No Plants, but not bare either

Bob_Speed
12-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I decided after 10 or so years, it's time to start up my aquariums again; and first place I have to start is a Discus tank. I would love to have a tank with some interesting items besides the discus. I would like to pass on a planted or sanded bottom. Can you suggest in other items for the tank? For example can I use driftwood or rocks? any other items you can suggest? If possible I would like to keep the bottom bare.

Thank you, and appreciate your time!

Bob

DonMD
12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
I use sand as a substrate, but I understand you don't want to. Other items I have in my tank (125g) are manzanita and "fake" rocks. No plants, tho. Here are the websites:

www.manzanita-driftwood.com
www.universalrocks.com

rbarn
12-13-2013, 02:17 PM
plants in simple small clay pots work well too. I giant sword in small clay pot in each corner looks nice in a BB tank I think. Attaching java fern or java moss to a plastic screen along the back wall for a "wall of moss" look also looks nice and keeps the bottom bare.

ericatdallas
12-13-2013, 02:45 PM
You could try a 3D foam background.

Tasdiscus
12-13-2013, 09:49 PM
You could grow Anubias on driftwood and still have a bare bottom tank.

cheers
Brian.

Keith Perkins
12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I've used driftwood, a decent sized piece of colorful quartz or two, and groupings of fake silk plants siliconed to pieces of slate. Of course liking Cozumel, I've used the occasional onyx dolphin as well. :)

Bob_Speed
12-14-2013, 03:42 PM
I use sand as a substrate, but I understand you don't want to. Other items I have in my tank (125g) are manzanita and "fake" rocks. No plants, tho. Here are the websites:

www.manzanita-driftwood.com
www.universalrocks.com

Don, thank you, the manzanita driftwood looks good

Bob

Bob_Speed
12-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks folks for the ideas: I appreciate it

Bob