PDA

View Full Version : Sickly Blue Diamond

matty80
12-14-2013, 03:18 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
- I recently purchased my first 6 discus fish about a month ago, all the fish seemed healthy and vibrant except one, my Blue diamond. From the start he was the outcast, and noticed never really ate much. Well 3 days ago I noticed white gel like feces coming from him, he also has some small bronze colored marks on his body. I am trying to get some good pics but all he does is hide in corner. Also I have an ich outbreak that has only infected my 15 black neons currently. Any help for my blue diamond would be appreciated, thank u

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
- white feces, hides, doesn't eat at all, shimmers every once in a while

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
- no treatments, raised tank temp for ich outbreak

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
110g tall, setup for about 2 months, seeded from another one of my tanks, 15 black neons, 6 discus 2.5"-3"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
-25%-40% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
- running for 2 months, sand substrate, 1-1.5" deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Age water for 24 hrs , .2 swing at most

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____90°

- ph _____ 7.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5-20

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____100%

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Madaboutdiscus
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I see a couple issues here. First change a bigger percent of water and do it daily. Are you treating for ich is that why your temp is so high? Your nitrates are through the roof if theyre at 20. More wcs should help that. Do you have a pic?

-Victoria

Madaboutdiscus
12-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Oh one thing to add...the problem couldve been from using filter media from another tank.

-Victoria

matty80
12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the fast response Victoria, I appreciate the input. I am treating for ich currently, reason for high tank temp. I am working on a pic , but will not let me link, the other discus are thriving and couldn't be healthier, my nitrates are usually around 10 so I guess I need to step up WC! The blue diamond in question really doesn't look bad , his fins aren't clamped or anything, just not eating and rt he white feces.... Is it hexamita possibly?

matty80
12-14-2013, 04:43 PM
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/matty801/IMG_20131214_154021_zps8tyx8d2u.jpg (http://s966.photobucket.com/user/matty801/media/IMG_20131214_154021_zps8tyx8d2u.jpg.html)

Madaboutdiscus
12-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Once you reach 11 posts you should be able to do pics. Im no disease expert really but I do usually know what everyone will tell you first off. Is you bd eating ok?

-Victoria

matty80
12-14-2013, 04:58 PM
He looks at the food , never eats it though!
He pecks at live plants a bit. I have fed him everything I got, BH mix ,fbw, FBS, pellets, flakes, nothing!

PP_GBR
12-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Matty

You need to treat your BD with metro.

matty80
12-14-2013, 06:02 PM
How would you recommend I do that, treat whole tank, or qt my bd and treat. I can't give it to him in food( not eating)! Thanks for the help ...

Madaboutdiscus
12-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Body wise he looks ok but his eyes are dark. Hopefully someone can help you that knows more than I do but the metro doesnt sound like a bad idea. I think usually they say qt but id be worried about the rest having it too.

-Victoria

DonMD
12-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Matty

You need to treat your BD with metro.

I think this is a good idea. Metronidazole is an easily tolerated medicine that doesn't crash your bio filter. If your fish has flagellates (these often will cause the white, stringy poo), metro is indicated. I'd treat double dose for 7 days, all fish, since if one is infected, then chances are that the pathogen is present in all fish. I buy metro from Jehmco, at a great price. I'm not saying that I know what your problem is, but metro will address many issues and is safe for discus. I think your w/c regime is pretty good, although it can always be better. The only other thing I'd say is that you shouldn't panic. Your fish looks good still, and may be displaying mild symptoms, which means you probably have a lot of time. Lots of water changes will hopefully maintain things as they are until you can medicate. Good luck.

matty80
12-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Don for the advice, I will step up the water changes to daily and monitor my BD closely. I am going to order some metro to have on hand regardless! And treat if symptoms continue! Could the white poo be stress related and not flagellates, I don't think I have really ever seen him eat, at least not like others, they go crazy!