PDA

View Full Version : Grow Outs to Possible Future Pair and Breeding

NAB
12-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey guys and gals...just looking for a little advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

We came to end up owning discus more on a whim to have a aquarium with nice-looking fish. We made some mistakes like buying from a local fish store the first time around. We now have 7 different types of discus but are now toying with the idea of maybe breeding some.
The ones we currently have might be more difficult ones to breed or might have undesirable fry, so we've decided that maybe for breeding we should focus on one particular type of discus....at least for now. (Keep it more simple)

Some of the questions going through our heads are:

- Buy bigger discus (cost more) but less time to wait for pairing(s) and you already kind of know their quality?
- Try to get a possible pair or proven pair from the breeder (more costly)?
- Buy about a half dozen of some 4 inch discus and put them together in a grow-out tank and let things happen (more time/less cost)?

Here are some of the ones CAF has from Forrest

Blue Diamond Select
Blue Diamond with deep blue gene
Red Scribbles
Giant Floras
Super Red Covers

For a complete novice, which ones or ones...or which route should we be considering? I should mention that I am trying to avoid pigeon-based for now.

Thanks in advance.

Skip
12-18-2013, 12:06 PM
proven and confirmed pair from hans..

you will have eggs within a week :)

NAB
12-18-2013, 12:08 PM

lol! I don't doubt that. I just don't know the logistics to bringing them into Canada.

DonMD
12-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Skip, they're in Nova Scotia - it could be difficult to get fish from Hans.

My advice is to zero in first on the strain of discus you'd like to breed. Then you can look for a proven pair from someone who is selling, or pick up a group. I bought a proven pair of Stendker Tefes from Hans (which by the way did not produce eggs for about 4 weeks, but who since have given me tons of fry), and have been having a blast with them. Good luck, raising discus is challenging, but a lot of fun.

Skip
12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Skip, they're in Nova Scotia - it could be difficult to get fish from Hans. .

is that near OSH KOSH?! lol..

i missed that part..

BUT.. hans has delivered to FED EX office Near border.. and some Canucks have driven across to pick up the package..

now i don't know where this NovaSota is.. but where there is a will there is a way :)

Don.. 4 weeks?!!? man.. you really dropped the ball with that pair.. LOL

NAB
12-18-2013, 12:25 PM
So far my wife is getting worn down by the water changes but I am getting more ramped up as time goes on. It seems that now I am more obsessed than her!

I think we need to have a better setup for a grow-out tank so WC's don't take as long. I am picturing a drilled tank or tanks with plumbing to quickly empty and then either gravity feed the aged water in or use a pump. Of course I want to go big but we can't divert monies to my idea of four drilled 29 gal, one or two 90 gal tanks (aging, etc) and one or two grow-out tanks.

I do have a 45 gal Marineland overflow cube that I am not using atm though.

As for the strains....I think I would need to find more decent pictures of adult versions of them. Google will show you just about anything when you try to search and so it's a bit tricky to nail down what the final adult look should be.

I was honestly leaning towards the Red Scribbles but can't find a good representation of an adult so far on the 'net.

NAB
12-18-2013, 12:29 PM
is that near OSH KOSH?! lol..

i missed that part..

BUT.. hans has delivered to FED EX office Near border.. and some Canucks have driven across to pick up the package..

now i don't know where this NovaSota is.. but where there is a will there is a way :)

Nova Scotia is the shoe-looking province right on the Atlantic. We're stuck here so we have to learn to like it. ;)

Unfortunately it is about a 6 hour drive just to get to the Maine border.

John_Nicholson
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I have done it every way that you can imagine. All will work. Buying larger fish is faster. If you buy small fish buy more than you need and cull the ones that do not turn out. In the long run you will be happy with what you keep.

-john

PP_GBR
12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
NAB

Direct your questions to CAF who will help you select compatible breeding strains. 3.5-4 inchers are nice to grow out until they pair up. You'll enjoy watching them grow up under your care. Buying proven pair is boring IMO.

Skip
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
NAB

Direct your questions to CAF who will help you select compatible breeding strains. 3.5-4 inchers are nice to grow out until they pair up. You'll enjoy watching them grow up under your care. Buying proven pair is boring IMO.

Not if u don't want to wait a year for growing out.. i use to think like u.. then i got more experience..and changed my mind..

NAB
12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm hoping to stick to one type for now and would probably be happy with any non-PB pairings but I was thinking about genetics and offspring and wanted to make it as simple as possible.

Still leaning towards the Red Scribbles. Wish I knew what was coming in January. argh!

Second Hand Pat
12-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Nab, CAF has offered pairs in the past. Perhaps contact them and let them know you are interested in a confirmed pair.
Pat

Skip
12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Contact MOON.

he may have some more contact info for you

nc0gnet0
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
The best thing to do is to pick a strain that stands the best possible chance of being sold when you are successful. Personally I would buy a pair, or at least fish of a decent size (6" or better) that are ready to pair. Yes, there is lots of enjoyment in growing out smaller discus, but anyone that thinks this is actually a cheaper alternative hasn't done the math.

PP_GBR
12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
A year goes by very fast. Christmas is almost here and a New Year is coming.

Skip
12-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes, there is lots of enjoyment in growing out smaller discus, but anyone that thinks this is actually a cheaper alternative hasn't done the math.

i think this is the "ANYBODY". lol

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/53/85/603009d817347ee7212609033c11b59d-illiterate-only-word-spelled-correctly-on-spelling-test.jpg

NAB
12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
OK.....so many schools of thought on this subject....all of which will work but vary greatly.

IIRC it's better to get 4 inches or bigger discus as the first 4 inches are the most important in their growth and development? But maybe that is still too far from maturity.

We were excited at the prospect of watching them grow together and possibly form pairs but maybe we should forego that until we are more experienced.
So we'll have to turf that for now.

I will ask Rick if Forrest has any potential pairs or larger discus. I wouldn't mind some from Hans either but that would prove to be more challenging (We live in Canada)

Here are the sizes of the discus we were looking at.

Blue Diamond Select 2.5"-3" ---too small. 11 in stock
Blue Diamond with deep blue gene 4.5"+/- 9 in stock
Red Scribbles 4"+ ? 5 in stock
Giant Floras 3.5" ---still too small. 5 in stock
Super Red Covers 4.5" ? only has 3 in stock

Really nothing above that other than 1 or 2 at this time. So if the general consensus is to go for bigger discus, then I guess we'll have to be patient.
It's not easy to do when these dang fish are always on the brain.

PP_GBR
12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Don't forget the time spent to grow out is your learning experience and this will help you out to grow out fry. Experience is priceless.

NAB
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I also like the grow-out idea so it's tough to make a decision. Depending on what's available and our ability to wait or not wait, will determine what we try I guess.

Silly question...might have been asked by someone before but...Is beefheart and pro growth critically important? Would you feed it all they way up to adulthood?

Skip
12-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I also like the grow-out idea so it's tough to make a decision. Depending on what's available and our ability to wait or not wait, will determine what we try I guess.

Silly question...might have been asked by someone before but...Is beefheart and pro growth critically important? Would you feed it all they way up to adulthood?

1. the part that sucks about growing out.. is you end up with fish you don't want cuz they didn't grow much.. it happens with every group.. some grow faster than others, there will ALWAYS! be runts, slow growers or bad shape.. when you buy adults you are buying the Head of the Class, the others have been culled.. i am way over the GROW OUT.. i won't buy any juvie fish again.. i don't have time, energy and money on fish i am HOPING will give me what i want..

2. NO, not critical.. i would say daily water changes are more important than the food.. once again, pro grow/beefheart.. may help the fish grow faster.. but i have seen proof.. of a diet of basic foods from LFS can grow out JUMBOS, ie Toni.. BUT.. she changed water out 2 x per day.. LARGE %..
imho.. Water is most important..

NAB
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Nice!

Water changes are a pain but a necessary evil when owning discus so we (I) don't have any problem with that. I know that at some point I need to get down and dirty with the whole deal but when is the question.

Good to hear that BH and the pro-growth are good but not ultimately necessary.

DonMD
12-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Skip's idea of checking with Moon is a good one. Moon is very knowledgeable about discus, years of experience, and he lives somewhere in Canada, or at least he did. You can find him on Simply and send a pm. He may have some ideas.

NAB
12-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Skip's idea of checking with Moon is a good one. Moon is very knowledgeable about discus, years of experience, and he lives somewhere in Canada, or at least he did. You can find him on Simply and send a pm. He may have some ideas.

The only Moon I see in the members list in one who hasn't been active since 2004?

I know Len lives nearby but I think he has wilds.

Second Hand Pat
12-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Len has only wilds. Moon or Joe is still active on Simply but has no discus now BUT may have contacts.

DonMD
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Here's a post by Moon: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?109944-Happy-Thanksgiving&highlight=moon

NAB
12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Ahh. I think the other Moon had a zero for an o and that's the one I thought you were talking about. hehe.

Looks like moon is near Toronto.

NAB
12-18-2013, 03:48 PM
When it comes time for me to get wilds I'll know who to bug. :)