PDA

View Full Version : When do you know what the final color/pattern will be on a discus?

NAB
12-20-2013, 03:25 PM
I've looked at a lot of discus pics over the last few months and they vary so greatly, even when comparing ones of the same approximate size. I've seen what appears to be blotches of missing color or muted/dull coloration, etc.

So how or when do you get a good idea of what the adult coloration will be? Is there any tell-tale signs, at a certain size, as to whether it will be a good specimen or not?

I am curious because I would hate to pass on a discus with great potential because I thought it wasn't nice enough.

William Palumbo
12-20-2013, 03:37 PM
You're not going to find anything definitive on it. Certain strains color up faster than other. Red Turks can take awhile, where as a BD not as long. Most take a year for full potential. Is why, no mater what strain, I always go by shape, before anything...Bill

NAB
12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
So it's a crapshoot? You just hope based on promising shape, etc that you have a decent one? Or do most color up ok in the end?

NAB
12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Love the wilds in your avatar Bill

Bill63SG
12-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I like to buy from a local breeder when possible,that way you can see the parents and get a better idea.Even then it can still be a crap shoot.Like anything,I grew out 10 Red Turks,and 9 clored up nice,but 1 was REALLY nice.

rdiscus
12-20-2013, 05:48 PM
When do you know what the final color/pattern will be on a discus?

When they're adult, around 5"+

When they're 3"+, at this size, color/pattern still develop, but you know what they're

Nick Klimkowski
12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
You're not going to find anything definitive on it. Certain strains color up faster than other. Red Turks can take awhile, where as a BD not as long. Most take a year for full potential. Is why, no mater what strain, I always go by shape, before anything...Bill

+1, you can ask for a pic of the pair and that can show you what the fry may turn out looking like.

JNathanS512
12-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, I was wondering the same thing. I have 2 Discus that I'm not sure what color strain they are but will wait until it develops more.