PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Discus when they get old?

Pwcextreme
12-22-2013, 03:54 PM
What happens when discus get old? Do they lose color? Do they lose their fins? I have an old one and want to compare. My 9-10 yr old has lost color and fins and his shape over the last year but still acts and eats the same. Anyone have an old discus?

sdrexler078
12-22-2013, 04:04 PM
He looks awful lol it haven't been around long enough to see them get that old but I have heard a few times that they lose color. Never heard about losing fins though.

blueluv
12-22-2013, 05:32 PM
What happens when discus get old? Do they lose color? Do they lose their fins? I have an old one and want to compare. My 9-10 yr old has lost color and fins and his shape over the last year but still acts and eats the same. Anyone have an old discus?

Good grief man! I don't think that's from old age. I think that's from poor care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

William Palumbo
12-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Very poor care. Looks like he has not seen a water change in 9-10 years!...Bill

timmy82
12-22-2013, 05:54 PM
That is not from old age. I have an old Blue diamond and she is still happy and active just loosing some of the color is weakening.

rdiscus
12-22-2013, 06:07 PM
10 year old? look like the 5 month old to me, he's 3.5-4"?

bhound2
12-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I have had many old fish, though admittedly I am new to discus. None have ever displayed the fin damage your fish is displaying. I recommend thoroughly testing the water and adjusting accordingly. If no issues noted there, watch for the behavior of any tank mates. Perhaps a bit of fighting or fin nipping is occurring. Only suggestions, as I won't ever pretend to know half of what I need to know.

yogi
12-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I know you posted your water conditions in this other thread and you stated that all your other discus are fine. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?111082-9-year-Old-Discus-fin-rot-or-just-old

If you didn't state that this fish was 9 or 10 years old I would agree with the others who said it looks like poor water conditions. Old discus are like old people or old dogs they get slower, thinner and slowly fade away, including their color. I hate to say this because I don't like to give up on a sick fish, but it might be getting time to euthanize this fish. You gave it a great life if it reached 9 or 10. Because most people here on Simply haven't even come close to keeping a discus alive that long.

My guess is, it has something wrong internally that you will not be able to cure. Whatever it is, it's robbing the fish from getting nutrients from the food it's eating. This is why the fins are deteriorating.

Pwcextreme
12-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Damm u guys r brutal! I know he is ugly now. I have ideal water conditions, I change the tank 2 x a week at 50 percent with RO. They eat blood worms, beef heart, and discus flakes. He is an 6 inch discus that rules the tank or did before I transferred all my other discus to my new tank 110 tank last week. He was a local fish store purchase, so his jeans were poor to start with. All my other discus r choice and very beautiful. Even though I am new here I am not new, hence a 10 yr old discus. I don't want to give up on him but don't want to tank a chance with my other discus.

nc0gnet0
12-22-2013, 11:25 PM
If you didn't state that this fish was 9 or 10 years old I would agree with the others who said it looks like poor water conditions. Old discus are like old people or old dogs they get slower, thinner and slowly fade away, including their color. I hate to say this because I don't like to give up on a sick fish, but it might be getting time to euthanize this fish. You gave it a great life if it reached 9 or 10. Because most people here on Simply haven't even come close to keeping a discus alive that long.

My guess is, it has something wrong internally that you will not be able to cure. Whatever it is, it's robbing the fish from getting nutrients from the food it's eating. This is why the fins are deteriorating.

+1

This could actually be old age and the discus's internal organs shutting down. You don't keep a dicus alive for ten years without giving it decent care. So I trust that is not the cause (poor conditions).

OC Discus
12-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I attended a funeral for a 100 year old woman recently. She was shriveled up and bent over, unable to walk and couldn't hear at the time she died. She would not have made it to 100 without the care of family who made sure someone was with her 24/7 at her own home. Most people don't live long enough to die of old age. Something else kills them first. I suppose most fish don't either. It is sad to see one in that condition.

+1

This could actually be old age and the discus's internal organs shutting down. You don't keep a dicus alive for ten years without giving it decent care. So I trust that is not the cause (poor conditions).

Allwin
12-23-2013, 12:06 AM
R u having this fish for 9-10 years or u got this fish as 9-10yrs old?

Nick Klimkowski
12-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Color loss is normal as most fish including discus, age, I know you said that you just moved your other fish out of there tank into a new tank, because he is older some of the younger fish could have began nipping his fins, just a dominance thing. Despite what was said above while he may not be the best quality, it is great to see someone keep a discus well enoff to last 10 years.

tonytheboss1
12-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I attended a funeral for a 100 year old woman recently. She was shriveled up and bent over, unable to walk and couldn't hear at the time she died. She would not have made it to 100 without the care of family who made sure someone was with her 24/7 at her own home. Most people don't live long enough to die of old age. Something else kills them first. I suppose most fish don't either. It is sad to see one in that condition.

:bandana: Have to agree. Old age is actually a badge of honor. You had to be doing something right & had a lil bita luck to even make it that long. It's a hard call but only you know day to day if the Discus in question is suffering. LOOKING old is not a reason to be euthanized. Pain & suffering is. "T"

Pwcextreme
12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Thank you for all your positive comments Yes I have had him that long, others have come and gone but ol steady is hanging in there. If he were not eating well or hiding etc i would ease his suffering but it is the opposite he still comes to the front and greats me when he is hungry. He's just a little hard on the eyes. I have that personal conection so no youthing the boy. Now that I moved all the other discus out of the tank, I wonder do discus get lonely? Any discus whispers out there?
What would you do keep him by himself in the 40 gallon or move him to the 110 new tank?

mattyb
12-23-2013, 06:02 PM
This is interesting, he would be lonely and for discus they must be with groups but this a funny one, would you risk young discus with him? So old and fragile younger discus that are a lot stronger might pick on him to death :s what are people's thoughts on this?

dirtyplants
12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
I personally feel discus have different personalities. This one is 10 awesome! I know someone who is 100 and although frail, is totally dynamic and still functioning fairly well and also very independent. Still works part time, although I think they hold their breath every day she comes into work. I would feed some immune and vitamin supplements in its food. The big thing will be can it compete for food. I would separate he/she and put a very young discus in with it. Let he/she leave out it's life until it feels it can no longer carry it's body. A fish that has lived that long deserves the right to live until it shows the signs it can no longer function.
This also says a lot about your discus skills. Way to go.

John_Nicholson
12-23-2013, 07:31 PM
I have had several old discus. I have never had one lose its fins but all of lost their color. Congrats on getting one to that age.

-john

OC Discus
12-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I like the nursing home idea. Add a young juvi for company and maintain pristine water conditions with new vitamins and minerals. Maybe the fins will heal. Perhaps even a bacterial treatment would help with healing. Any expert opinions?

I personally feel discus have different personalities. This one is 10 awesome! I know someone who is 100 and although frail, is totally dynamic and still functioning fairly well and also very independent. Still works part time, although I think they hold their breath every day she comes into work. I would feed some immune and vitamin supplements in its food. The big thing will be can it compete for food. I would separate he/she and put a very young discus in with it. Let he/she leave out it's life until it feels it can no longer carry it's body. A fish that has lived that long deserves the right to live until it shows the signs it can no longer function.
This also says a lot about your discus skills. Way to go.

White Worm
12-23-2013, 11:03 PM
2 x 50% WC's a week don't calculate as ideal conditions to me. True, many don't get discus to half that age...I know I have only had a couple discus make it to 5 or 6 yrs old.

dkeef
12-24-2013, 04:25 AM
2 x 50% WC's a week don't calculate as ideal conditions to me. True, many don't get discus to half that age...I know I have only had a couple discus make it to 5 or 6 yrs old.

5-6 yrs max due to age or death from sickness?

White Worm
12-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Little of everything. I have moved to 3 different states and 5 different houses in the last 6 years. I have sold some, given some to family and friends, had some jump to their death, killed some while learning, had some die from sickness and had some just die for no apparent reason. Things happen but I am now in my final house for retirement with my own future fish room. I think any problems I have had stem from straight tap water over the years. I will begin fresh in Jan with auto drain/fill, an RO unit, water storage, 4 55g and 1 75g drilled tanks. Going to start with young adults rather than fry. With a more permanent setup, I hope to have some discus well into their old age.

5-6 yrs max due to age or death from sickness?

Pwcextreme
12-25-2013, 02:55 PM
White worm 2 x 50 percent is more than ideal for an established tank. If I were trying to grow the discus out than I can see you doing more but all test show ideal conditions. I know some of u do 50 percent everyday but sometimes that invites problems and a lot of work. I like to enjoy my discus not make it a job.
Thank you guys again for all the input! Merry Christmas

White Worm
12-25-2013, 03:55 PM
More than ideal is a serious stretch but, if you say so, ok. Sure you can get away with it on adults but I still think you would see improvement if you did more than 2x50 in 7 days. The loss of fins on that fish looks to be bacterial/rot. Pull the fish, trim the dead edges, dab some iodine directly on the edges and return it to the tank. Make sure not to get anything near the gills or the eyes. Merry XMAS!

White worm 2 x 50 percent is more than ideal for an established tank. If I were trying to grow the discus out than I can see you doing more but all test show ideal conditions. I know some of u do 50 percent everyday but sometimes that invites problems and a lot of work. I like to enjoy my discus not make it a job.
Thank you guys again for all the input! Merry Christmas

aquadon2222
12-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't feel bad from the other responses. Fish - like all of us in the animal kingdom - breakdown due to the heavy hand of old father time.

White Worm
12-27-2013, 10:28 PM
You think time is the reason why the fins are rotting away? I'll bet it is something else. Once it starts, it is hard to get rid of without pristine water conditions and possibly a med for bacterial infection. Applying directly to the affected area seems to work better for me than adding to the water.

GeauxDiscus
12-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Damm u guys r brutal!

Agreed. I bet most people on this forum would never say in person what they do behind the safety of the computer screen. Getting a little sick of the smart-*** remarks on this site...

White Worm
12-28-2013, 01:10 PM
The truth hurts sometimes. If I saw this fish in person, I would give the OP the same advice. To say that there is nothing wrong with this fish and that he's just old is bad advice in my opinion. Everyone that joins here has the choice to take advice or continue to do what they are doing. If old age was the cause, it's probably time to humanely euthanize it. Don't keep it alive just because it has been "9" years and you are going for 10. Just because it seems ok doesn't mean it wouldn't pass away tomorrow. In his other duplicate post, he says it is growing back? If the disappearance was due to old age, why would it be growing back? Maybe he took the advice?

GeauxDiscus
12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm definitely in favor of listening to the advice and taking it to heart. My beef is with the manner in which the advice is given. Too many times on this site I see people giving negative criticism, and doing it in a really condescending, ugly way. I'm suggesting that you can give advice by just keeping to the facts. Moreover, those responding to posts might want to try giving the askers the benefit of the doubt until enough questions can be asked to get the facts - instead of jumping to conclusions. It can all be done in a more positive manner.

White Worm
12-28-2013, 02:12 PM
When the OP puts up a picture like that and asks about their old discus, they should be prepared for the good, bad and the ugly when doing so on a discus specific site. Agreed on the manner presented but sometimes it's better to get right to the point and that may come off harsh. It's not about the OP, it's about the discus in the picture.

SortSay2003
01-03-2014, 01:20 PM
LOL>>>at myself for coming across another posting late.

My congrats and hats off to PWC for providing all the details about keeping this discus alive 9-10yrs (and John N). I hope I can get to your level one day.

I agree with Geaux about how advice or comments is given. Advice or comments, be it criticism or constructive (better yet, get rid of "or" and just make it Constructive Criticism) based on facts, is ALWAYS appreciated. Whether it hurts or not. Some just put it out without reading ALL the facts put forth by PWC.
Besides, none of the ones quick to criticize, acknowledged that they have kept discus to that age. Not bashing anybody, just stating based on facts here...and IMO

As I begin to read posts and come across more insights, I really appreciate ppl like John, PWC, and many other experienced discus keeper on SD for helping us learn, grow, and gain knowledge on our passion; Discus. Thank you:)