PDA

View Full Version : Laying eggs with no pair

Kendall18
12-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Just got home and one of my discus was laying eggs on the filter tube. I have four discus in a 55 gallon two of them I suspect of having somthing internal quite thin dark colour alway hiding have treated them with prazi and metro but different topic. So I have two 5 inch discus one has been shaking for about a week sometimes she is best friends with the other one hanging round together and sometimes the other one witch is slightly bigger chases her and she hides in the corner to get away. Tonite I got home and the smaller one was halfway through laying eggs whenever the other one came near they had a big fight charging each other. She wouldn't let the other one near and I don't think it was interested it was just swimming past. The other 2 sick ones didn't bother her when they swam past. Can someonen please tell me what's happening? Can they lay without pairing?

Keith Perkins
12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
They most definitely can and will lay without a partner, nothing unusual about it at all. My guess would be the second fish is also female, but that's no certainty.

Kendall18
12-24-2013, 12:11 PM
So what happens now. She will just keep laying by herself? How often? Is is healthy for then to be having big fights? What do I do with eggs?

MKD
12-24-2013, 12:38 PM
let it be. it's better that way than dyeing with full eggs in stomach.

Keith Perkins
12-24-2013, 05:13 PM
So what happens now. She will just keep laying by herself? How often? Is is healthy for then to be having big fights? What do I do with eggs?

It's likely she will lay about once a week until she goes into a rest period and that could be months. It's not healthy to have BIG fights, but most discus keepers I think mistake relatively small fights for big ones. If you're not seeing physical damage occurring they're just small fights and that's not that big of a deal. You don't need to do anything with the eggs, the fish in the tank will clean them up (eat them).