PDA

View Full Version : Help with Blue Ram Spawn

OC Discus
12-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I woke up this morning to find a pair of blue rams guarding a bunch of eggs. I doubt they will survive with all the other tank mates and a pH of about 7.8, but does anyone have any suggestions? I've had rams lay eggs before in another tank, but never had them hatch and grow out. Not sure if they are fertile, but pretty sure I have a male and female guarding the eggs. I think one of my discus is helping guard the eggs too, chasing away the other discus from them. I really don't want to move the group to another tank now, but I do have another tank to move them to if they hatch.

DerekFF
12-26-2013, 11:50 AM
They spawn often and regularly if they're a healthy pair. I'd let this spawn sit and see if it's fertile. If you do decide to breed them then you can move them after this hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

OC Discus
12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks Derek. My blue diamond couldn't resist the eggs. A couple of others tried to stop him, but he ate em up. I considered moving them, but I enjoy watching them in my main tank. I think I'll have at least two pairs in this group. If they keep spawning I probably will move at least one pair to a breeding tank.

joanstone
12-26-2013, 04:01 PM
You could just give them something to lay the eggs in like a pottery saucer them remove the eggs after they are fertilized to hatch and grow out in another tank. I just did that with red head tapajos, the babies are doing great.

OC Discus
12-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Joan.

So the eggs don't need the parents anymore after they are fertilized or do you move the parents with them? How long from the time they are laid until they should be moved? I didn't actually see the male fertilize them. Also, can you recognize that they have been fertilized?

It was pretty cool watching the parents guard the eggs, and a couple of discus trying to keep the blue diamond away from them. The bd just wore them down.

I'll watch them spawn a few times and try your advice when I'm ready to raise some. I may need help with the fry. I guess you feed them baby brine shrimp just like discus and follow the same routine?

You could just give them something to lay the eggs in like a pottery saucer them remove the eggs after they are fertilized to hatch and grow out in another tank. I just did that with red head tapajos, the babies are doing great.

joanstone
12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I moved mine when it appeared that the parents were just guarding the eggs, not still laying/fertilizing. I felt bad about moving them for a while because my tapajos are mouth brooders, but the eggs wouldn't have lasted for long at all in my tank (one of my eels was catching some eggs as they were laid). There's no way I could move the parents either as I have 6 tapajos in the tank and I couldn't be sure of getting the right ones. The eggs hatched and the babies are thriving.

OC Discus
12-26-2013, 10:23 PM
That is great. I'll try that. Rams are prolific spawners though. I won't be able to keep them all. I do have a tank to grow some out in. Maybe my lfs would want some.

What are you feeding the babies? What about water changes? Size of tank, etc?

joanstone
12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
I kept them in a jar/sponge/air kit inside a bigger tank for a week or so and fed them BBS once they were free swimming. Now they're in a ten gallon tank and growing fast. I can send you a link to the jar kit if you want. It works great.

OC Discus
12-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Joan. Please send it. Also some pictures of your ram parents and fry. I really like what the rams add to my discus tank. Absolutely no conflict.

I kept them in a jar/sponge/air kit inside a bigger tank for a week or so and fed them BBS once they were free swimming. Now they're in a ten gallon tank and growing fast. I can send you a link to the jar kit if you want. It works great.

joanstone
12-27-2013, 04:27 PM
PM sent

OC Discus
12-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Got it. Thanks.