PDA

View Full Version : Wet dry vs. sump

Discusdude7
12-26-2013, 12:48 PM
So I bought a 120 gallon drilled tank and brought it home a week ago. Time to decide which filtration to use. The guy at the lfs said wet dry was the way to go but I don't know how much to trust that. They are asking 200 for a wet dry that can handle up to 120 gallons and 270 for one that can handle up to 175 gallons. Here is a pic of what wet dry looks like:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/4ybunydy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/
13/12/27/eza6ajy5.jpg
That's a pic of a used one they get laying around.
Option 2 is I could build my own sump outta a fish tank. I would prob use some thing a tad bit under a 55 so it will fit under the tank.
So which one? Sump or wet dry? Pros and cons of each?
Thanks

EDIT: I should add that I believe the wet dry has a filter pad the water from tank goes through first then trickles over bio balls and back into the tank

Skip
12-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Water change is cheaper

joanstone
12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I would go with option two if it were me. Using an aquarium for a sump allows you to set it up any way you want and add the components that you want very simply. It would also potentially give you more water volume which is one of the perks of a sump in the first place. Petco is having their penny a gallon sale right now if that helps, that might be easier and cheaper than finding a used tank.

Tazalanche
12-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Petco is having their penny a gallon sale right now if that helps, that might be easier and cheaper than finding a used tank.It's a dollar per gallon sale Joan. I wish it was a penny per gallon! I'd rent a uhaul & buy out their entire stock at every store within 100 miles of me. ;)

joanstone
12-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Oops, right of course! That would be nice wouldn't it!

farebox
12-26-2013, 08:57 PM
I just finished doing my diy overflow and sump for my 125GA tank. After the research, I used a 1" PVC for the overflow pipe (375 ga per hr) to 200 micron filter sock, 20GA long tank, K1 bio media, poret filter, storage tray from dollar store to hold Seachem Matrix bio media, and mag 5 pump to return water back to tank. Up and running well over an month now without any problems. Go for the sump option for you tank. check this out:http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/farebox/media/IMG_0022_zps3d39dc20.mp4.html

Discusdude7
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Instead of posting a new thread I will just ask these questions here:
1. the petco $ per gallon sale is going on and I plan on getting the tank to use as a sump from there, which size should I get? Worried the 55 will not fit in the stand
2. would a 37 gallon tank be sufficient
3. what do I do in the event of power loss? How would I be able to stop the water siphoning into the sump from the tank?

farebox
01-02-2014, 12:24 PM
I used an 20 gallon long tank for my 125 gallon tank. You drill an small hole just above the water line on the return pipe to break the siphon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MKD
01-02-2014, 03:29 PM
1. the petco $ per gallon sale is going on and I plan on getting the tank to use as a sump from there, which size should I get? Worried the 55 will not fit in the stand
2. would a 37 gallon tank be sufficient
A: 37 or 40B is good for 120G tank. I like the 40b more because of footage.

3. what do I do in the event of power loss? How would I be able to stop the water siphoning into the sump from the tank?
A: cant tell your overflow from video. make sure the piece pvc in side the tank goes up close to your water level and return hose nozzle should be same or higher than your overflow or use check valve to be safe.

farebox
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I don't know how much space you have beneath your tank stand, but check it to see what size will fit okay, based on my tank stand, an 20g long fit perfectly. Also did a lot research and asked an "reefer" about my plans for an sump(builds tank setup for the San Antonio Spurs in their homes). He said that my tank size selection for my 125 gallon tank would be fine for my discus display tank......

Heyguy74
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
I used a 30L for my 125. It should fit with no problems under they stand. Measure before you buy a tank.