PDA

View Full Version : Hello

ewelch
12-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Hello everyone ! My name is Eric and I recently joined and have been reading through all of the wonderful threads .

I wanted to stop in an introduce my self. I live in zebulon NC and I am experienced marine aquarium keeper . I am also an officer in www.ncmas.org , a local reef club . I am still fully involved in marine tank keeping , mainly reef. I have recently had the desire to come back to my "roots" and setup a discus tank.

My plan is to start with a proven pair and breed and grow out the babies in a 40 breeder . Once I have the stock I want iwill be setting up a DeepBlue rimmles 80 gallon tank(purchased new to setup Another reef tank) for the dt and a 40 breeder for the sump. Planning on BB , driftwood and discus only for that tank . I will be using alot of the knowledge and equipment that I have worked with in the marine world for this build .

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope to expand my knowldege here and provide the best enviroment for my new addiction.

Eric

OC Discus
12-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Welcome Eric. You must have kept discus before, being your "roots". One huge difference in discus keeping and other types of fish is the discipline of frequent water changes. You'll read a lot about that on SD. Good luck with your new venture.

ewelch
12-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Welcome Eric. You must have kept discus before, being your "roots". One huge difference in discus keeping and other types of fish is the discipline of frequent water changes. You'll read a lot about that on SD. Good luck with your new venture.

Thanks for the welcome ! Sorry I meant fresh water as my roots . This is my first go with discus . I am excited but patient and reading every thing I can . Even in marine tanks WC are still the best way of nutrient export so I am use to it already .

Nick Klimkowski
12-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Welcome Eric, when starting up your new tank take what OC said seriously about the water changes, keep on reading as much as you can on setting up your tank and breeding. good luck!

a volar
12-27-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the welcome ! Sorry I meant fresh water as my roots . This is my first go with discus . I am excited but patient and reading every thing I can . Even in marine tanks WC are still the best way of nutrient export so I am use to it already .

As an ex reefer myself I can tell you this, there is no comparison between reef tank water changes and discus water changes, there are two completely different worlds, discus water changes are more frequent and bigger in volume, just a simple search on this site and you will find any information you need to succeed in keeping discus, read, read and read :)

Welcome to Simply..............

BODYDUB
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Welcome..............

ewelch
12-27-2013, 08:21 PM
So im starting to think that water changes are important ;)

So here is my next question . On my reef tank I use an automated water change system that changes 2 gallons of water every hour for 12 hours. Total change of 24 gallons daily . Would a system like this work for discus , mainly a grow out tank to start with ? Or is one large change a day prefered ? I understand that getting detritus off the bottom is important and something my automated system could not do .

OC Discus
12-27-2013, 09:21 PM
How do you heat and dechlorinate the incoming water?

ewelch
12-27-2013, 09:54 PM
For my reef I have a 250 gallon storage tank that I premix the salt water . I have a heater in the storage tank as well as a pump for mixing. I dont dechlorinate because I am using 100% rodi water and my city does not use chlormines.