PDA

View Full Version : My PB Pair keeps eating wigglers.

szkumar
12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
This is my first confirmed discus pair. They have been laying eggs regularly ( 7 - 10 days) . The Last 3 times they raised them successfully to the wiggler stage, but after about 2 days in wiggler stage they go missing( I am thinking they are getting eaten ) . The pair is in a 40 gal BB tank with only a Hydro V sponge filter, heater and a breeding cone. The discus are in tap water ( I do not have the space/budget to put them in RO water yet. I change 50 - 60 % water daily. except when they are guarding eggs then I only do about 25 % . I keep the temperature around 86. Anything I should be doing differently ?
Any suggestion/help is highly appreciated:):):).

Kal-El
12-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Try to catch the parent in the act so you know which one is eating the egg. Most of the time it's the female. If you don't know you can take one parent out and leave one in with the wriggler. If the batch is eaten or not then you know who's having a feast.

rdiscus
12-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Think female is still in 7-10 days circle for her egg, so when she's ready for egg again, she eat the wigglers ... If you want the fry, take the female out next time ...

szkumar
12-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. Will try to see if I can catch them in the act, if I cannot then will separate the female. Will let you know if this worked for me. Thank you guys again for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

szkumar
12-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank you guys. Will try to separate the female the next time they are guarding eggs. Will keep you posted if it works for me.
Thank you again for the help.

timmy82
12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Let her hatch them that may get him cranky at that point, If your tank is cycled well I wouldn't change any water till about 3 days after fs and then slowly start your water changes again. It would possibly be the new fresh water / cooler triggering her to spawn again as well as being in cycle. That is what I have found any way, normally after 3 fs i'll add aged water at same temp around 2 x 10 - 20% a day and then after few days i will up the % and start them on my auto water system 3 times a day of around 30% or more per change.