PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size for Breeding Wilds?

Second Hand Pat
12-29-2013, 10:24 PM
So what would you consider a "good" size tank for a pair of breeding wilds? I want to add two tanks which will be dedicated to any pair who prove themselves in the 230 without having to divide the 230 with a bit of foam.

I know the 29 is generally recommended for domestics but have "heard" a larger tank is recommended for wilds.

Nick Klimkowski
12-29-2013, 10:38 PM
29 gallons are what i have used for breeding, however like you said i only breed demestics, and have not breed wilds. i have never heard of useing larger tanks for breeding wilds but it could be posible.

rdiscus
12-29-2013, 10:42 PM
I don't have any experience for wild yet, but I have one pair that I want to move, and will move them to 30G ... let see how they're doing ...

Second Hand Pat
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks Nick :)

Ryan, I would like to know how the 30 works for your pair. Have your pair laid eggs yet?

rdiscus
12-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Yes laid egg on Friday in community tank, egg was gone in hour ... Male Green, female Cameta Red Brown

Second Hand Pat
12-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Fingers crossed for you Ryan that you get more action from these guys.

William Palumbo
12-29-2013, 11:43 PM
My wilds Pat, were usually in a bio-tope style 40breeder tank...Bill

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 08:46 AM

I love 40 breeders Bill, they are such a useful size and easy to get into and out of. Definitely worth considering.
Pat

Bill63SG
12-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Be aware,I got some older 40 breeders,no center brace,and had a hell of a time finding lids for them,almost had them made.I geuss the newer breeders have a center brace.

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Bill, I have two 40 breeders without a center brace. Not issue finding a glass lid. The lid is 36 inch like the tank.

Larry Bugg
12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
LOL, I'll trade you Bill. All my 40's (New) don't have center braces. I have one old 40 and it has the center brace. I hate it!!! Gonna go get a new one at Petco without the brace and swap it out. Cleaning with the brace is a PITA.

Keith Perkins
12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Gee, I wonder why I find it soooooooooo funny that you Pat are asking for advice on what size breeder tanks to use.

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Why is that Keith? :D

Bill63SG
12-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Bill, I have two 40 breeders without a center brace. Not issue finding a glass lid. The lid is 36 inch like the tank.
Maybe I was in the twilight zone,I tried everywhere,first my go-to,Foster and Smith,and finally and finally did find 36" lids.

LOL, I'll trade you Bill. All my 40's (New) don't have center braces. I have one old 40 and it has the center brace. I hate it!!! Gonna go get a new one at Petco without the brace and swap it out. Cleaning with the brace is a PITA.

I hate center braces also.Larry.Which is why I was re-sealing my old-school 55,instead of dollar-saleing a new one.My 40's have no brace,and I cant imagine a 36" tank with a center brace.May I was just in some wierd vortex.

dirtyplants
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
I just bought a 29gal. and a 40 breeder I really like the 40 breeder, is that too large for one pair of wilds? Also no center bar for the 40gal.

Meaning one pair or more?

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Coree, for me and this thread I am thinking a pair per tank. My previous wild spawns have taken place in my 230 and I have a large piece of foam which I use as a divider and it works great BUT it also makes a mess in the 230 for weeks on end. However I have gotten some beautiful pictures of the wild parents are their fry.

Cuipeua Spawn
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Wild%20Cuipeua%20Christmas%20Spawn/DSC_1999_zpsca7c2baa.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Wild%20Cuipeua%20Christmas%20Spawn/DSC_2044_zpsc15c99a5.jpg

Tefe spawn

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Wild%20Tefe%20Spawn/Mom_Day_6.jpg

dirtyplants
12-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Ok those are wonderful pictures! If I ever get my pair that are breeding I will have a 40 gal. waiting.:)
I noticed in your pics the fry have attached to the parents in a fairly dark environment. Yet they seem to need more space,
so my question might be why the wilds need more space, and why the fry find the parents especially in a tank with no white sides?

Coree

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Great questions. I have no clue why the wigglers find the parents despite all the dark areas in the tank. I have observed the parents doing a short wiggle which seems to call the fry to them. I understand domestics do this also.

As far as more space that is what I have "heard".

dirtyplants
12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I am assuming the wiggle would create a water vibration that the fry must be attuned to in some way. Kinda like getting on a bull horn to get the kids on the bus.:D

Coree

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 06:28 PM
I am assuming the wiggle would create a water vibration that the fry must be attuned to in some way. Kinda like getting on a bull horn to get the kids on the bus.:D

Coree

Makes sense to me :D Perhaps some more experienced breeders can chime in on this.
Pat

Bill63SG
12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok those are wonderful pictures! If I ever get my pair that are breeding I will have a 40 gal. waiting.:)
I noticed in your pics the fry have attached to the parents in a fairly dark environment. Yet they seem to need more space,
so my question might be why the wilds need more space, and why the fry find the parents especially in a tank with no white sides?

Coree

Not to sound sarcastic,but I always do,they've been doing it for 1000's of years without white walls in large bodies of water.

JamesP
12-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Pat,

When I was breeding the Tefes and the Heckel/Penang pairs I used 90's and 65's(40 breeder taller). I also set the tanks a little higher. The fish seemed more at ease up higher plus gravity for siphon etc. works better. I find the wilds do better in bigger tanks than the 29's. Good luck.

Jim

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks Jim, that is what I needed to hear.
Pat

dirtyplants
12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Not to sound sarcastic,but I always do,they've been doing it for 1000's of years without white walls in large bodies of water.
Looking at your statement seriously and not sarcastically breeders all over recommend white walls a 29 gallon tank to aid in the ease of fry finding parents. Obviously discus think nothing of it but homosapiens have a hard time getting it right. So trying to figure out optimal breeding environments both in water quality, size, and in the use of white walls or not, are legitimate questions when it comes to breeding wilds in my mind. My questions may seem simple but I am not breeder my discus do their thing and I as another species try to understand and commit to a set of environmental and physical keys of spawning behavior.
Looking at your statement sarcastically, you are right we as a species seem to complicate and muck up thinks we don't completely understand, but I am Human what cqn I say!:o

Bill63SG
12-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Looking at your statement seriously and not sarcastically breeders all over recommend white walls a 29 gallon tank to aid in the ease of fry finding parents. Obviously discus think nothing of it but homosapiens have a hard time getting it right. So trying to figure out optimal breeding environments both in water quality, size, and in the use of white walls or not, are legitimate questions when it comes to breeding wilds in my mind. My questions may seem simple but I am not breeder my discus do their thing and I as another species try to understand and commit to a set of environmental and physical keys of spawning behavior.
Looking at your statement sarcastically, you are right we as a species seem to complicate and muck up thinks we don't completely understand, but I am Human what cqn I say!:o

Was ment in good fun.Right now I'd paint polka dots on my tank if I could get these F'ers to breed,lol.

JamesP
12-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Pat,

Good luck. I know many feel attachment is better in a small tank. I believe it is more to do with not disturbing them and letting the fish figure it out. When I first spawned the Heckel and Penang the water was so dark with tannins that I used a flashlight to see if they had eggs. The fry attached fine in a very mirky tank with lots of dark wood in it. I think we often over think thing. The other reason I like larger tanks is less frequent water changes so less disturbance for the pair. Good luck I still have some regrets on selling my Tefe breeders. I do have a Juparu Green thinking about pairing up with a really nice Flachen which might be a very interesting cross.

Jim

Jim

dirtyplants
12-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Was ment in good fun.Right now I'd paint polka dots on my tank if I could get these F'ers to breed,lol.
LOL I am sorry I have a very dry sense of humor. I did not take you seriously but thought I'de give you a hard time.
Just me practicing being tough. :grin:

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Pat,

Good luck. I know many feel attachment is better in a small tank. I believe it is more to do with not disturbing them and letting the fish figure it out. When I first spawned the Heckel and Penang the water was so dark with tannins that I used a flashlight to see if they had eggs. The fry attached fine in a very mirky tank with lots of dark wood in it. I think we often over think thing. The other reason I like larger tanks is less frequent water changes so less disturbance for the pair. Good luck I still have some regrets on selling my Tefe breeders. I do have a Juparu Green thinking about pairing up with a really nice Flachen which might be a very interesting cross.

Jim

Thanks Jim, so far all my wild spawns have happened in my 230 and I used a foam divider to separate the pair from the rest of the fish. The fry were left with the parents between four to six weeks. So far the large tank has worked nicely. Best of luck with your green/Flachen pair.

Pat