PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Questions....

TheBigB
12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Well I have completely redone my 120 gallon tank and am taking it in a completely new direction. I am slowly getting it planted out with java fern, anubias, amazon swords, and a few crypts. The tank dimensions are 4' x 2' but there is a 3d background that takes up a few inches in the back.

Currently I have 8 clown loaches (3"-9"), Threadfin Acara (5") and a L018 Pleco in the tank. I'm thinking of doing 3-5 Discus. I would really think 3 would be best due to stocking but I know they do better in groups of 5 or more. I also plan to get about 30 Harleyquinn Rasboras.

What do you think about this stocking? Am I pushing the limits?

DiscusOnly
12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Go with 5 semi adult and you will be fine with proper filtration and WC every few days.

TheBigB
12-31-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a FX5, XP3, and UV sterilizer on the tank. My plans are to do 50-75% water changes once a week to keep my plant nutrients they way they need to be, however I will be closely monitoring nitrates to ensure they do not get to high for the discus.

Skip
12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Loaches and discus don't mix.. one or the other

TheBigB
12-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Loaches and discus don't mix.. one or the other

Why? Please explain.

Skip
12-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Why? Please explain.

Loaches are very active fish.. thye would cause discus alot of stress..

rdiscus
12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus!

Good to see more Dallas member on here.

I have one or two loaches in my Discus tank without problem ... and loach will eat snail for you :)

TheBigB
12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Loaches are very active fish.. thye would cause discus alot of stress..

Thanks

TheBigB
12-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus!

Good to see more Dallas member on here.

I have one or two loaches in my Discus tank without problem ... and loach will eat snail for you :)

Yeah, I actually put some MTS in there just for them. I can always tell when they get one because they start clicking.

My clown loaches don't seem to be overly active but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

DiscusOnly
12-31-2013, 01:27 PM
If you have a tall tank, they will be on the bottom most of the time. I don't like them because they are over active vacuum cleaner. They will take most of your discus food. There are other better cleaning crew. With a tank that size, I would prefer 30 or so rummy nose.

Rudustin
12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
I have three red finned tiger loaches my 125 gallon. My discus are adults and quite big. I feed the discus with feeding cones. The loaches stay at the bottom and the discus don't seem to be bothered at all. My loaches do eat snails which is the reason I got them. I have had them in the tank for a month no and now problems. Just my experience. Good luck.

BODYDUB
01-01-2014, 01:58 AM
I've never had them in my discus tank before. But, I've known many people who have kept clown loaches with discus before and have seen the tanks in person. Each fish is different on how it acts. Take it from people who have actually had them in their tanks before...............

Tazalanche
01-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Clown loaches get very big & have a reputation for attaching to discus. I only keep zebra loaches (botia striata) & yoyo loaches (botia lochata) in our discus tanks because they're still under 6" when full grown. However, the reason they're in our tanks are to control the pest snails that came in on some of our plants. When young, both do well at controlling the snails, but when older the yoyos get lazy and are sold.

We've never had an issue with their activity levels affecting our discus.