PDA

View Full Version : Wigglers...Finally

rdub
01-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I have about 25 wigglers this morning. The cone is covered so the babies are safe for now. I'm concerned that the parents, once again, will eat them as they become free swimmers. How can I stop this?

rdiscus
01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm concerned that the parents, once again, will eat them as they become free swimmers. How can I stop this?

No way you can stop the parents eat the fry ... Just let they do their thing, they will learn and stop eating their own fry ...

Your proven pair finally have wigglers. Congratulation !

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Congrats and hope for successful attachment. As Ryan says, nothing can stop them so let them learn. There will always be the next spawn.

Bill63SG
01-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I have had egg eaters and not always,but insticnt can kick in when they go free swimming and they will/could take care of them.

lx2077
01-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Congratulations! !! 5he First discus fry of the new year...wow I am so happy for you I myself are struggling with current spawning however No Luck yet my first spawn the "male?" Ate the eggs as fast as she can lay them however the next spawn 8 days later they
Had a successful egg lay and they both protected the eggs untill they all turned white due to not being fertilized however they learned and went much further they watched over for 2 1/2 days then cleaned up the spot by eating the eggs im now eagerly awaiting the 3rd spawn witch can come any hour they are shimmering...pecking...fluttering and searching for there next spot

sent from my Galaxy S4

lx2077
01-01-2014, 02:23 PM
I am DYING to prove that all to famous phrase of discus keepers
"Congratulations you have a PROVEN PAIR"!!! So I say to you
Congratulations on your proven pair!!! and good luck you have a wealth of knowledge here along with help Pat is very good and a great help

sent from my Galaxy S4

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2014, 02:41 PM
If your eggs were all white the male may not be mature enough yet. Again patience is the key.

lx2077
01-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Lol pat yeah thats what john keeps telling me...
"bobby P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E" is for u guys to say when your a newbie u just cant wait lol...actually im pretty excited about tonight into tomorrow they say storms normally bring on spawning. ..WELL we have a monster blizzard hitting NY head on...Let's see waht happens im going to give a heavy water change...clean glass...and feed some nice fresh black worms im ok with the eggs not being fertilized by just lay some already they were on an awesome 7/8 day cycle and out of nowhere they stopped :( john advised to just be patient give them the best care I can and stay out of there way and everything else will fall into place

sent from my Galaxy S4

Nick Klimkowski
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I have had egg eaters and not always,but insticnt can kick in when they go free swimming and they will/could take care of them.

I have had the same thing happen with some of my pairs.

lx2077
01-02-2014, 01:11 AM
And what wound up happening nick? Did they go back to spawning?

sent from my Galaxy S4

yim11
01-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Lol pat yeah thats what john keeps telling me...
"bobby P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E" is for u guys to say when your a newbie u just cant wait lol...actually im pretty excited about tonight into tomorrow they say storms normally bring on spawning. ..WELL we have a monster blizzard hitting NY head on...Let's see waht happens im going to give a heavy water change...clean glass...and feed some nice fresh black worms im ok with the eggs not being fertilized by just lay some already they were on an awesome 7/8 day cycle and out of nowhere they stopped :( john advised to just be patient give them the best care I can and stay out of there way and everything else will fall into place

sent from my Galaxy S4

Live blackworms? You sure you are Johns protege?

No need for patience, buy a 29g tank, put a sponge filter and heater in it, buy a proven pair from Hans and within 10 days you will have wrigs, assuming your water and care is correct. But I'm stepping on John's toes saying that...

lx2077
01-02-2014, 02:11 AM
That would just be the easy way kind of like the yankees buying there championship year after year with only the best players.purchasing a proven pair doesn't really teach me much john is first teaching me PATIENCE...followed by water care second im more or less just venting and expressing my fustration especially when I keep hearing everyone else's sucess stories day after day I just feel if I can get some wigglers I can finally be in the club...lol and I do understand I need to be patient Im just abit let down after having spawning 2 weeks in a row like clock work than out of no where tbey stopped. ..it kind of made me think I did something to spook them....thats all and as far as john goes hes right there every time I need him I just feel I need to read as well instead of constantly relying on him I dont want him to feel im using him I need to put the time in myself as well...he is awesome

sent from my Galaxy S4

Second Hand Pat
01-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Lx2077, let's take your frustration to a different place and not hijack this thread, ok.

lx2077
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Hey pat not to familiar with forums what do you mean by hijack this thread? My apologies if I have done something wrong

sent from my Galaxy S4

Second Hand Pat
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Nothing wrong just changing the thread from the original intent of the thread creator.

rdiscus
01-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Hey pat not to familiar with forums what do you mean by hijack this thread? My apologies if I have done something wrong

sent from my Galaxy S4

If you still have some more questions about your fish, you can start your own (new) thread ...

rdub
01-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Thank you guys.

lx2077
01-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Hey guys again im sorry if I disrupted this thread im new at forums and I have to pick up a little on thread etiquette so bear with me thanks

sent from my Galaxy S4

rdub
01-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Me too. Glad to see you participating.